We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Northern Ireland

temecula
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Northern Ireland

My husband and I have a trip planned to Ireland in late June 2013. We are home exchanging in Dublin and taking side trips from there. We plan to go to Belfast and from there the Giants Causeway. Is one night enough in Belfast? We have access to a car from our home exchange, is that recommended or is a train to Belfast and tour to Giants the better option? Any ideas are welcomed....

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Northern Ireland

If you were doing Belfast only, I would say train definitely but I really do think the car is much better for the causeway area and means you can drive the causeway coastal route from belfast including the scenic (but hairy) Tor Head. There is a lot to see in the causeway area and the day trips only give you a snapshot. e.g I would consider the waterfall walk at glenariff forest park on a nice day, exploring dunluce castle (worth more than just s photo of the exterior), taking little detours to ballintoy, portbradden; a photostop at the dark hedges or mussenden temple etc, a tour of bushmills distillery etc etc...

There aren't too many hotels with free carparking in belfast but you will find good information on the belfast forum regarding options.

I would suggest 1 night in Belfast and 1 in the causeway area as a minimum. You could very easily spend a second in both:)

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
13 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Northern Ireland

Totally agree with Ponaire - it will only take about an hour and a half to drive from north Dublin to Belfast - so you could drive straight up to the north coast on day one of the North outing - see the causeway etc and then on day two take a leisurely drive down the Coastal route (carrick a rede, dunluce, the glens) and arrive into Belfast late afternoon - it just might be another way to approach the trip? Be sure to get a hotel with parking if possible - Belfast parking charges are far too high

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Northern Ireland

We stayed at the Avenue House B&B in Belfast and while they did not have off-street parking when we visited, there was plenty of free, on-street parking within easy walking distance.

I would plan for a minimum of one full day in Belfast and another full day along the Antrim Coast/Giant's Causeway.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 22:44
4. Re: Dublin to Northern Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:16