We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

Pemberton, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

Hello All,

I'm almost complete planning my final itinerary and have a couple of questions for all of you with Ireland experience. :)

I'll be traveling with my wife and sister (we're all in our late 20's) in early May, and our primary interests are nature, history, and culture. As a general rule we prefer charming towns with a b&b over cities and luxurious hotels. I've provided my (potential) itinerary below, but I really can't decide on a couple of nights in Co Clare. While there we would be coming from Dingle, traveling up to see the Burren, COM, hopefully some old abbeys (i.e. Quin) and perhaps an evening at Bunratty. We'll be returning to Dublin after Co Clare and I wanted to skip Galway as we aren't big on the cities. I even plan on staying in Howth or Malahide when visiting the Dublin area.

So after all that, were would you recommend staying for Co Clare? I was thinking using either Quin as a 2-day base or Bunratty one night and Doonin another. This is killing me!!

Itinerary:

1. Fly in Dublin, 1 night Kilkenny

2. 1 night Kenmare (stop at Cashel)

3. Take morning tour of Kenmare, drive and stay 2 nights Killarney

4. 1 night Dingle

5. Drive from Dingle, stay 2 nights Ennis/Quin/Doolin (THIS IS WHAT I CAN'T DECIDE)

6. 3 nights Dublin area

7. Fly out Dublin

I would really appreciate any assistance!!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

If you want to visit Bunratty in the evening then stay in Bunratty. That way you can have a drink and not drive. The alcohol limit is 50mgs/100ml blood. Which is basically a small glass of wine.

Would you consider going to a banquet in Dunguaire. Its in the gorgeous quayside town of Kinvara shannonheritage.com/Attractions/…

B&Bs in Kinvara here http://www.kinvara.com/accbb.html

Take a look at places with the following in their addresses:

Dunguaire

Main Street

The Square

These are closest to the castle

Pemberton, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

That's definitely an option. Is it too far to get to Kinvare from Dingle without wasting a day? And should I do two nights in Kinvare or one night there and the other in Dingle? I hear driving can take longer than expected and I would like to see the Burren and some of Co Clare.

Thank you for your help!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

You can include some sight seeing between Dingle and Kinvara.

Take a look at this excellent resource routes.aaireland.ie This will give you directions, distances and times. Add on about 10% to the times to account for slow drivers, sheep, red traffic lights etc.

My suggestion:

Dingle to Listowel. Lovely town.

Listowel to Foynes: Visit the Flying Boat and Irish Coffee Museum www.flyingboatmuseum.com/ (takes less than an hour. We enjoyed it.

Backtrack slightly to Tarbert.

This element will take about 2.5 hours to drive plus an hour for the museum. Skip the museum and just go straight to Tarbert if you don't have time.

Take the ferry from Tarbert to Kilimer www.shannonferries.com (you may be waiting for a ferry but its an enjoyable trip and very different). The ferry takes about 25 minutes.

Kilimer to Lahinch. A lovely seaside town

Lahinch to the Cliffs of Moher (pop into Doolin on the way if you wish - I think its highly over rated)

Cliffs of Moher to Kinvara

This will take about 2.5 hours driving. The Cliffs will take 30 minutes or so to see.

You could see the Burren the following day, then drive up to the M6 (via the outskirts of Galway) and over to Dublin.

You could stop off and visit Lockes Distillery in Kilbeggan on the way

www.kilbeggandistillery.com/

The Burren Interpretive Centre is near the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren Perfumery is also nearby www.burrenperfumery.com/

Pemberton, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

Kinvara sounds great. Since it would be a two-night stay, I think we'll travel there with some nice stops, go to the castle dinner, and hit the Burren/CoM the second day and sleep again in Kinvara before heading to Dublin. If this is too much time in Kinvara please advise. Also, if we decide not to go the ferry route and go around the bay we could hit Bunratty and Quin on the way up. Any thoughts? Your tips have already helped me tremendously!

From your recommendations it seems using Kinvara as a base is better than splitting it up and doing two nights in two different locations.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

If you don't take the ferry, you have a number of options:

Take the N 21 road via Castleisland, Abbeyfeale, Adare etc.

Stop off for 10 minutes in Adare Village (but the traffic can be a bit manic at school drop-off and collection times (8.30 - 9.30 and 1.30 - 2.30). If you're there at those times or just before then drive through...

Keep on the motorway after Adare and follow the signs for the airport. Take the Shannon Tunnel (toll €1.90 one way but worth it - I'll use it if I'm in a rush) and keep on the motorway / dual carriageway. You can take a left exit to Bunratty - its well signposted. Bunratty will take about 2 - 3 hours and yes it is interesting. Any time I've visited (and I've visited quite a few times) there are as many locals as tourists. At off-peak times you have more locals than visitors. I think it says a lot about it. Make sure you get to meet Fionn and Gráinne the resident Irish Wolfhounds. They are simply divine. I love them!!

Blarney Woollen Mills opposite the castle is nice for some shopping. They also have a restaurant upstairs.

If you google map Kinvara and zoom in, take the yellow man for a walk around the town, you will get a good idea of it. Its small. You can walk around it in a few minutes but its one of my favourite spots. Any time we're travelling between Galway and Limerick we stop there. I've even stopped there while taking a relative home from hospital in Galway!!

If you're using Kinvara as a base, its fine.

Pemberton, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

Thank you so much for your help! I'm really looking forward to seeing Ireland!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

Enjoy your visit and please come back here and let us know how you get on.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

I'm in Whitegate in Co. Clare, the end of the road and I recommend it. Stay in Mt. Shannon. Come north for a long walk on the little road next to the half drum pub, return for a pint and then stop in with Priya for a sacral cranial energy adjustment- she is magic, really talented. No tourists here just, the kids practicing hurling, blackberries and hedgerows to explore, lanes and fields behind the few houses, and, music every other friday at the Nightengale pub. Heaven, such friendly people. Take a break, you'll be glad. My husband, friend and I all had lovely sessions with:

Priya R. O'Brien, Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapist, Intuitive Energetic Bodywork/Reiki Master, Coaching to support Wholeness.

Mobile in Ireland 0857512605 landline 061 926819

from USA 00 353 61 926819

bodhipriya@yahoo.com

9. Re: Ireland/Co Clare Itinerary Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:16