We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please! Skip Cork?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please! Skip Cork?

Hello-

I am looking for some advice on what to cut to make our itinerary a little more relaxing. Below please find the itinerary that I was originally considering for my husband and I. I was thinking about possibly cutting out cork. I am also looking into flying into Dublin and out of Shannon to eliminate the drive across...or maybe doing it in reverse and starting in Galway. Any thoughts on what we should do? I realized that we wouldnt have a lot of time to walk around and enjoy the area, which I think is more important than cramming in extra things...

If I take the day out of cork, where should i put it? Maybe Galway?

thanks for your help!

Day 1- land, pick up car, drive to Wicklow (what else is feasible to see this day and not be too tired?)

Day 2 - drive to cork via cashel and cahir (maybe not stay in cork)

Day 3 - blarney castle, drive to Killarney (maybe take this out and spend it somewhere else)

Day 4 - rok, stay in Killarney

Day 5 - drive to Galway via limerick

Day 6 - Connemara, back to Galway

Day 7 - drive to Dublin via clonmacnois, drop off car, stay in Dublin do trinity college and st Stephens green

Day 8 - day tour to newgrange (or maybe other activities in Dublin?)

Day 9 - fly home

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please! Skip Cork?

Would something like this work better?

day one - fly into shannon, drive to galway and walk around (anything specific to see?)

day 2 - drive to connemara, kylemore abby

day 3 - drive to limerick (or should we stay somewhere else?) stopping at CoM and Bunratty Castle

day 4 - drive to killarney - check out killarney, muckross farms

day 5 - drive RoK, stay in Killarney

day 6 - drive to Kilkenny via cashel and cahir, and kilkenny castle if there is time

day 7 - drive to Dublin - check out dublin

day 8 - day tour to newgrange, knowth

day 9 - leave

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please! Skip Cork?

That sounds definitely better :) 2 days in Galway sound good, from there you can easily access the Connemara region, the Burren National Park and if you have time also the Aran Islands, that would take a full day.

When you are on your way from Galway to Killarney you could stop at the famous Cliffs of Moher and stay in Ennis for the night. Good choice for Kilkenny, it is a very nice medieval town. As for day tours from Dublin, Newgrange is a good idea; Antrim coast or Wicklow National Park are good options as well.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please! Skip Cork?

When you say "drive to Wicklow",what part and where do you plan to stay? Have you driven in Ireland before?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please! Skip Cork?

@tourismireland - thank you! I like the Ennis idea. I was reading that Limerick isnt so fun to drive in, so I'd rather not stay in the city if its avoidable

@Harvey - By Wicklow, in the first option, I meant the ritz at powerscourt (we have marriott points to use). and No, I have not driven in Ireland before.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,817 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please! Skip Cork?

I wouldn't stay at the Ritz if visiting Dublin. Burn your points at the Shelbourne.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please! Skip Cork?

Thanks lord kimmage, I agree. The ritz reservations are cancelled.

Also - I'm considering changing the second itinerary and instead of staying a night in limerick maybe adding that night onto Galway or Killarney. We could always stop and see bunratty castle on our way through. Any thoughts?

7. Re: Advice please! Skip Cork?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 06:17