We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Achill or Aran Islands?

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Achill or Aran Islands?

We are staying in Castlebar for two nights and wanted to day trip from there to either Achill or the Aran Islands...we have a car and could drive to Achill or we can drive and take a ferry to Aran Islands where we would do a trap and pony tour. I appreciate any thoughts on what is the better choice. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Achill or Aran Islands?

Achill would be more logical and as you can drive on, you'll not be depending on the humours of the seas. From Castlebar, after Mulranny take the Atlantic road -it is wild ,bleak and plain stunning-and very, very under used.

http://mulranny.ie/sightseeing/

Be sure to visit Rockfleet castle at the edge of Clew bay- home of the legendary Grainne Mhaol.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Once you cross onto the island itelf ,there are some lovely places to see.

The deserted village is a haunting and special place on the island itself. The beach at Keem is stunning and reached by a cliff top road that you can just make out in this picture.

www.google.ie/imgres…

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Achill or Aran Islands?

HarveyIreland- thank you for your feedback and links. Since you seem familiar with the area...we have two nights in Castlebar but originally planned to drive from Dublin to Connemara before heading up to Castlebar for our stay. Would you do this? Or would you head straight to County Mayo and spend both days travelling the county? If so, what would be your top things to do in County Mayo. Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Achill or Aran Islands?

Connemara is a big area, where would you like to see? I'm not the expert for Mayo, but Dublin to Galway (Connemara region ) and then to Mayo would be a long journey. Ireland looks small on a map, but much of Connemara and Mayo -the best bits, don't get served with amazing roads-which for me is part of the attraction.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Achill or Aran Islands?

Connemara is a huge area which few people explore in any depth. Clifden widely regarded as the capital of the region is a long 3 hour plus drive from Dublin and should not be done off a redeye.

Achill is land bridged and well worth a days visit. For off shore islands then Clare island, Inisboffin and inis Turk are worth a visit. You need a lot more than two nights to scratch the surface but the North Mayo coast has a lot to offer with the Ciede Fields possibly the best known of the tourist spots but you are also by the Museum of Country Life

www.museumsofmayo.com/country-life-museum.htm

Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Achill or Aran Islands?

Achill Island was considered to be part of Connemara in the early 20th century, when Paul Henry was doing all his best landscape work. Therefore, when a Henry painting's title includes 'Connemara' it was probably painted in Achill, where he lived with his artist wife Grace for more than nine years.

The highest sea cliffs in Western Europe and the most photographed beach in Ireland, Keem Bay (at the end of the main road, past Dooagh - the White Village), the Deserted Village of Slievemore, Granuaile's Castle on the Atlantic Drive - why not stay a night or two and discover a unique and authentic destination?

Limerick
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Achill or Aran Islands?

If you are in Castlebar it makes sense to do Achill. Take in a walk on the Great Western Greenway cycle/walk trail between Westport and Achill along the way. Achill has breath-taking scenery. Try to visit the Deserted Village near Dugort on the north coast of the island, and take a walk on Keel beach at sunset. When you leave Achill you can take the road north from Mulranny and visit Ballycroy National Park Visitor Centre which gives a great overview of the history, folklore and ecology of the north-west Mayo area.

ireland
Level Contributor
243 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Achill or Aran Islands?

If I was you I would stay the 2 nights (well at least one anyway) in Achill itself. For me, and I'm from Clare, it's my favourite place in Ireland apart from home. It's wild, rugged, amazing scenery and lots to do as well. Stay there - you won't regret it!

8. Re: Achill or Aran Islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 05:15