We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Ireland with kids

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Ireland with kids

Hello,

we will be travelling to Ireland soon with our two kids (6 and 9 years old) and need advice about what to see. We will be visiting for 5 days and stay in Dublin for 2 nights. Do you think 2 nights are enough? I have some ideas about what to do in Dublin. Where should we do/go the other 3 days? I read about the Shannon area but I think is far away from Dublin. Any suggestions about what to do with the kids? We will rent a car and able to drive around. Please help as I have no idea where to start with the tour. We would like to spend a night in a castle, any suggestions maybe near Dublin. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Patricia

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Ireland with kids

You won't need a car in Dublin and will probably be better off without it anyhow, parking and traffic are awkward even for the locals. Most of the so called "castle" hotels are not castles at all, they just charge a king's ransom!! If you really feel the need to stay in such a place then http://www.clontarfcastle.ie/ is as good as any. Personally, I'd save my money and visit some authentic ruins such as those at Trim Castle -a handy drive from Dublin.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Ireland with kids

5 days with 2 in Dublin is not very long for tripping about the country. 6 & 9 year olds probably wont be interested in seeing the Book of Kells - try the Zoo. If they are lads, then the Croke Park [stadium] tour might interest them. To 'kill two birds with one stone' you could stay at the Fitzpatrick's Killiney Castle Hotel [at on end of an Aircoach route] and use the DART train at Dalkey to get into town for the Zoo/Croke Park visit. The hotel is not a castle but a manor house with a lot of much more recent additions - but has the feel of a castle with suits of armour and gothic doorways and that kind of thing. The park behind the hotel [Killiney Hill] is a great place to let kids romp around and there is a biggish play area with 'adventure' type climbing frames and even a mini aerial rope. It also has some lovely walks and views of the city from the top. For trips out of the city, check out Railtours Ireland.

I'm thinking 'keeping kids entertained' here so I might be off the mark with your plans. If it were me, I'd stick to Dublin and do a few days in town and a few [novelty - eg train] day trips out.

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Ireland with kids

Thank you both for your advice. My girls are very excited already and I think I will follow your advice and stay and relax in Dublin rather than driving hundreds of miles with not plans. Which day trips out of Dublin do you think are worth to visit?

Iowa
Level Contributor
216 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Ireland with kids

As a mom who travels to Ireland with her daughters (ages 5 & 7 during our last trip), I would recommend getting out of Dublin- it's not that much different from London IMO. Instead, get out into the countryside and see how the countries are different.

If you would be interested in pursuing that route, I would be happy to advise.

For day trips out of Dublin, consider Glendalough and the Wicklow Mountains, Powerscourt and/or Avoca (the actual woolen mills, not the store) or a trip to Newgrange.

You might find the site IrelandWithKids(dot com) helpful in your planning.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Ireland with kids

Little girls, OK, forget the Stadium, but include the Zoo.

Here's a shortish Day Trip by train and coach - they could probably pick you up at Dun Laoghaire if you chose to stay at the Killiney Hotel; railtoursireland.com/train-tour/… For Newgrange look at http://www.newgrangetours.com/ though I have no personal knowledge of this operator. Allow a day for shopping and a day chilling around Killiney [look for Bono's house and Enya's castle] and you'll have a good break.

6. Re: Traveling to Ireland with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 05:15