We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Edinburgh.........

Stratford, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Dublin to Edinburgh.........

We have planned a week in Ireland - all set - but have decided to continue on to Scotland... We will be in Dublin and will take bus? train? to Belfast so we can see more of the country.

I am wondering if anyone has advice about taking a ferry from Belfast or Larne (?) to Scotland. Which option is better? We would need to end up in a town that's easy to access bus or train on to Edinburgh. In addition, whatever small Scottish town we would arrive in, we need to book a B&B for an overnight stay.

I also need to plan two night's accomodation in Edinburgh before starting the tour we booked...

Any advice, especially about the ferry where we would be arriving, would be most appreciated!

Vagabond Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Rural Pub Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Collins Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,668 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Edinburgh.........

Why don't you fly to Edinburgh? There are direct flights from all major airports here to Edinburgh.

With regards to accommodation in Edinburgh. Best to post your question on the Edinburgh Forum.

I'll tell you where NOT to stay though, and that is the Apex International. 4* it most certainly is not.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Edinburgh.........

You can take a train every couple of hours from Dublin Connolly to Belfast Central, from £8.99 as I recall, but check www.irishrail.ie

Then you can easily buy a SailRail combined ferry and train ticket from Belfast to Edinburgh, an interesting ride in itself. Buy it at the travel centre at Great Victoria Street station, you can buy it the day before, no problem.

It costs just £29, that covers ferry Belfast-Cairnryan, transfer bus from the ferry terminal to Ayr station and connecting train to Edinburgh all on one ticket.

Departures from Belfast port at 0730, 1130, 1500.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 10:14
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Edinburgh.........

Aer Lingus Regional, fly direct Dublin to Edinburgh

Stratford, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Edinburgh.........

Thanks so much for the advice... I have looked on the Stena Line web-site and this looks like a great option... I sent them the following question but not sure if you might know as well...

We would like to take our time on this Belfast to Edinburgh adventure... is it possible to split the Sail and Rail over two days? We would spend some time in Belfast, take the later ferry, stay over in Cairnryan, and continue to on to Ayr / Edinburgh in the morning... Seems like a more relaxing way to do it...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Edinburgh.........

You would have to sail and rail to your first location and then purchase your onward ticket separately.

For UK rail travel see http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

6. Re: Dublin to Edinburgh.........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 05:18