We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All booked - what's missing, please?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
All booked - what's missing, please?

Hello fellow travellers!

My husband and I are working on our two week itinerary for this summer. We're all booked, and we've poured over our guidebooks and the atlas, and I hope I have the driving estimations correct... I understand they are just that, estimations :)

I would love you to look it over, tell me what you think is missing, or things we should add that the guidebooks aren't telling us! Thank you all for your time and advice. There is nothing like getting a local's, or a seasoned traveller's advice when planning it all in theory!

A big thank you - Merci! - from Canada.

Day 1: Arrive, pick up car, buy Heritage Pass. Drive to Drogheda. Reserve to see Newgrange for late afternoon.

SLEEP IN: DROGHEDA – D HOTEL (89 euro)

Day 2: Drive Drogheda to Galway. Explore city.

SLEEP IN: GALWAY (PETRA HOUSE, 90)

Day 3: Explore Connemara region including Kylemore Abbey.

SLEEP IN GALWAY (PETRA HOUSE, 90)

Day 4: Drive to the Cliffs of Moher & visit (1h30) thru the Burren, drive to Adare.

SLEEP IN: ADARE, ADARE COUNTRY HOUSE (80 euro)

Day 5: Drive to Bunratty Castle, visit & then drive to Dingle in afternoon (3hr)

SLEEP IN: DINGLE

Day 6: Slea Head Drive & Dingle Town

SLEEP IN: DINGLE (PAX HOUSE, 135 euro)

Day 7: Drive to Killarney (1h15). Visit Muckross house & Killarney National Park

SLEEP IN KILLARNEY (FRIARS GLEN 100 EURO)

Day 8:

Beara Penninsula & possibly Kenmare & Bantry House

Day 9:

Ring of Kerry

Day 10: Drive to Cork (1hr) & visit (HOHO bus?), drive to Kinsale in time for dinner (30 min)

SLEEP IN: KINSALE (CLOISTERS 100 EURO)

Day 11:

Drive to Kilkenny (3hrs). Stop at Rock of Cashel & Cahir castle.

SLEEP IN: KILKENNY (NEWLANDS LODGE, 80 euro)

Day 12:

In Kilkenny: visit castle and town.

SLEEP IN: KILKENNY (NEWLANDS LODGE, 80 euro)

Day 13:

Drive to Malahide (2hr), stopping by Powerscourt & Glendalough

SLEEP IN: MALAHIDE (GRAND HOTEL, 90 euro)

Day 14: Dublin day trip.

SLEEP IN: MALAHIDE (GRAND HOTEL, 90)

Day 15: Flight

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All booked - what's missing, please?

The one thing that jumps out to me is that all of your stays appear to be in hotels. I assume there is a reason for this, but staying in B&Bs in Ireland is such an iconic (and pleasurable) thing to do. And at an average rate of 60 - 70 euros per night for 2 people, you'd be saving between 315 - 445 euros over what you paying for hotels.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 03:30
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All booked - what's missing, please?

FANTASTIC itinerary. Lots of thought gone into that - well done. I'm not going to add anything much to is as it is already busy and full. You will see loads.

I really like how you have chosen to spend 2 nights at most of your stops. A strategy I always recommend for a number of reasons:

It will allow you to 'stop and smell the roses'

Better opportunity to meet the locals

Accommodation proprieters will take more notice of guests staying for more than one night

Your trip won't feel like a whistelstop tour.

Days 8, 11 and 13 will be about your busiest so use the days adjacent to those to chill a little, whether it is just sitting and relaxing for a while in a scenic spot or having a relaxing pint in the evening before dinner. Something like that anyway.

Enjoy every minute - Your work is done.!!!

Edited: 08 April 2013, 07:46
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: All booked - what's missing, please?

Hello Catherine

Unfortunately, your work isn't quite done as mentioned in the preceeding post

You can't "reserve" Newgrange as it's first come, first served for individuals/small groups, You may be lucky and secure two places if you call by chance, but don't be disappointed if you don't as it books out very quickly (especially during summer season)

I would suggest that you visit Newgrange early morning before you head for Galway. You have the added advantage of being 10-15 minutes from the Visitor Centre from Drogheda, so should aim to be there (before) opening time to ensure you get one of the first timeslots. It's an easy drive then to Galway, and you could expect to be there mid-afternoon.

There will be lots to keep you amused around Drogheda, I'll come back later with some suggestions.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 08:08
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All booked - what's missing, please?

So True. I was so excited at reading your great itinerary that I forgot to give you a heads up about Newgrange. However Little Pumpkin has provided you with the answer. A little tweak here, a little tweak there !

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All booked - what's missing, please?

Day 4: Drive to the Cliffs of Moher & visit (1h30) thru the Burren, drive to Adare.

SLEEP IN: ADARE, ADARE COUNTRY HOUSE (80 euro)

Day 5: Drive to Bunratty Castle, visit & then drive to Dingle in afternoon (3hr)

You are backtracking here. Bunratty is about 30 minutes drive from Adare, going back towards Galway. I would suggest you try to fit in Bunratty on Day 4. While I normally advocate 3 hours for Bunratty, If you can get into Bunratty before 3.30pm (which I think is manageable) you can see the castle first then amble around the rest of the folk park and be out by 5.30. This makes more sense than backtracking on Day 5.

You can then take a nice drive down to Dingle and go via the Conor Pass if the weather is good.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All booked - what's missing, please?

I would also recommend that you drop off your car at the airport before heading over to Malahide (if you hadn't planed on that as of yet). While the Grand does have free car parking, there is no need for you to keep the car the extra day and a half (or so) if that time will be used for heading into Dublin. You can easily get a cab to the Grand or take the bus which is a straight shot (in which case it may do better to drop your luggage off at the Grand before returning the car).

We loved staying at the Grand so much on our last trip that it is on the itineraries for our next two trips! Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 08 April 2013, 18:45
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All booked - what's missing, please?

Wow! Thank you so much for your compliments, and your advice.

I am hoping to get into Newgrange on Day 1, but if we're too get-lagged, or if it's full, the next day we'll definitely make it there early before heading off to Galway!

On Day 4, do you think it would be too much to do the Bunratty castle & grounds after having driven through the Burren and seen the Cliffs of Moher? I want to be able to do the castle justice and not rush through it because we're tired...

Great tip about the car, we'll return it after dropping off luggage at the Grand. I was definitely planning on taking the DART into Dublin!

Thank you so much for your time & advice! So appreciated!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All booked - what's missing, please?

@ catherine-alex

Super Itinerary!

A couple of minor things to add, as others have noted entrance to Newgrange, and visiting Bunratty before your stay in Adare:

be sure to have some euros in change for the motorway tolls between Dublin and Galway : about €5 in total.

Day 8 : Beara, Kenmare and Bantry House

You'll pass through Kenmare en-route from Killarney to Beara; an hour should be enough to wander around the town. If you're interested, pop into the lace museum above the Heritage Centre:

http://www.kenmarelace.ie/

Not far from the lace museum is the little stone circle (€2 "fee" payable):

www.stonepages.com/ireland/kenmare.html

although there are some impressive ones to be seen on Beara for free:

www.bearatourism.com/archaelogical.html

I'm not sure if you'll have time for Bantry House, though . . . .

Day 12 : Kilkenny

I really like St Canice's Cathedral; it has some interesting medieval tombs and some beautiful stained glass windows - and a very impressive round tower.

I'm not sure what longhorn74 means about your choice of accommodation; as far as I can see, out of 8 properties, only two are hotels (D in Drogheda, and Grand in Malahide), and the rest are guest houses + b&bs.

Hope you have a super time - and it would be great to learn how you get on!

:-)

Edited: 08 April 2013, 20:46
9. Re: All booked - what's missing, please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 07:17