We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glendalough worth a visit on my first time trip to Ireland?

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Glendalough worth a visit on my first time trip to Ireland?

I'll be there for two week traveling around. Heard Glendalough had an awesome beautiful valley to hike through, making for some awesome pictures.... is this true? Is this a day stay? Would I be able to get a hostel bed in Glendalough? Could I get a bus from Glendalough to Cork?

Any help is apprieciated! Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,692 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glendalough worth a visit on my first time trip to Ireland?

You won't get a bus from Cork to Glendalough. The best you could do is a bus/train to Dublin and then a bus trip to Glendalough. It would be of my must-sees.

As regards hostels:

anoige.ie/Hostels/Hostels-Guide/Glendaloch-I…

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Glendalough worth a visit on my first time trip to Ireland?

I ment Glendalough to Cork as far as the train ride goes. I'd go from Dublin to Glendalough to Cork to Kellarney to Galway back to Dublin.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glendalough worth a visit on my first time trip to Ireland?

A delightful place for taking photos you can walk all around the lake and up into the hills also some lovely

forest trails for getting shots. If you can get there early and get photos without people in them.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,547 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glendalough worth a visit on my first time trip to Ireland?

Yes, it's definiltely worth a visit, I love it there, even on weekend days when it is very 'touristy' You would easily get a bed in the Glendalough Hostel which is in a great location but best to pre book it as it's VERY popular with walking groups who fill it up quickly. The hostel location is great the hostel itself is very average (dare I say, could do with a good scrub up) and some of the staff have the manners of a neanderthal, but fine for one night.

There is delightul small hostel in Roundwood called Skylarks rest (or something like that) but to be honest you really need a car if you are staying there. It's a cute and comfortable 4 bedroom house with a lovely and helpful manager.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glendalough worth a visit on my first time trip to Ireland?

Glenalough is on Dublin's doorstep and therefore an ideal place to visit if you are confined to a short visit. If you have more time on your hands and can get to west Cork, Kerry or Connemara then I would personally not waste my time visiting 'touristy' Glendalough.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 11:56
6. Re: Glendalough worth a visit on my first time trip to Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 05:17