We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burren 4 Ticket

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Burren 4 Ticket

Has anyone bought this ticket and did you really visit all four places? Just wondering if it is worth it and where you buy the pass?

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Burren 4 Ticket

Here is the link: theburrencentre.ie/uploads/Burren-4-Ticket.p…

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burren 4 Ticket

I've not used this ticket, but over the years I have visited all 4 locations; my thoughts on each:

Aillwee Cave, Ballyvaughan (think I've done this tour about 8 times with my children!!) :

this is a typical Burren cave, ie cave formed by water coursing through the limestone. You won't see lots and lots of stalactites/stalagmites or vast underground chambers, but there are some interesting features including one area where bears used to hibernate, and a waterfall. The tour takes around 20-25 minutes. If you've visited some of the big caves in countries like France or China, you might be disappointed by Aillwee, but it is what it is: a cave typical of this landscape.

If you're visiting Aillwee, I highly recommend Burren Birds of Prey, which is located at the base of Aillwee; you can purchase a combined ticket, or, if you do buy the Burren 4 ticket, you can purchase a separate ticket for the Birds of Prey:

http://www.aillweecave.ie/birdsofprey.html

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g212514-d1…

flickr.com/photos/…

Caherconnell Fort (visited twice) :

You'll find this Fort a few minutes drive from Aillwee (turn left out of main entrance and head up the hill). The Burren is covered with ring forts and this is one of the most well-preserved stone forts in the area - although quite honestly, there's not that much left standing! However, it has been excavated by archaeologists and much has been learnt from their discoveries. You can walk around the exterior and go inside the fort and there's an audio visual display at the small visitor centre, plus a small model showing what the fort would have looked like when inhabited. I believe that working sheep dog displays are also offered, but unfortunately when we visited, there wasn't one. Nice cafe on site.

Burren Centre, Kilfenora (visited twice - but my last visit was several years ago)

This is the main visitor centre for the Burren region; there's an audio-visual display and you can learn more about the history of this area and why this landscape is so unique. Small shop and cafe on site. Next door, you'll find Kilfenora cathedral (ruin) which has some very fine early-Christian High Crosses. Well worth popping in for a quick look.

Cliffs of Moher (visited 6/7 times - I've lost count!)

Dramatic cliffs located just south of the Burren region. On a clear day, the views are spectacular, as these cliffs drop sheer to the sea below and stretch for around 8km down the coast. There's been alot of controversy about the recently built visitor centre, but compared with the old one, I think it's a huge improvement and the displays are very good and informative. There are a couple of cafes on site, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the food or hot drinks. If you're interested in bird-watching, this is a super place as there are 1000s of seabirds nesting on the cliffs during the season (spring), plus a pair of peregrine falcons (fastest birds on the planet). Puffins also visit to nest during the spring (usually arrive end of March) and stay for a couple of months. The Cliffs are busiest between 10am-4pm, so recommend you try to arrive before/after those times if you don't want to share your experience with busloads of tourists.

So, would I recommend all the above? I've enjoyed visiting them all and have learnt something from each location. Whether you will feel the same, I think depends on how much you want to know about the area and whether the history/fauna/flora etc. interests you?

You obviously save money by purchasing the Burren 4 ticket; On reading the leaflet, I think you simply print it off and take it with you to the first place where you pay for it and then use the vouchers for entrance to 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Apart from these 4 locations, there's alot more to the Burren:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

How long do you intend to stay in the area?

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Burren 4 Ticket

Thank you Sarnia G! Very helpful!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
166 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burren 4 Ticket

Hi

Can i buy this online or where do i purchase it?

thankyou!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burren 4 Ticket

The ticket costs €18, is it the same price for a child? It isn't clear anywhere.

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
660 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Burren 4 Ticket

Just print it off and then the first attraction will validate it after paying the 18 euros.

7. Re: Burren 4 Ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 07:18