We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips or a different b & b each night?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips or a different b & b each night?

Hello, heading to Ireland for a nine day , eight night stay. If you were to draw a line between Galway and Dublin we are interested in exploring the southern region. Currently in the early stages I am unsure what the more favorable technique would be : staying in perhaps a different B and B each night none more than two hours from the last or choosing three main towns and taking day trips to see everything. Thoughts?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,534 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

Spend less of your precious vacation time packing and unpacking and settling up the bill and settling in to a new place every night. Pick 3 places and come "home" every night.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

I don't see much of a difference in the two options to be honest. The time spent unpacking etc can be less than a long trip home to one of your bases. The best bet is to potentially come up with an itinerary for both options and come back here with it. It is difficult to give advice without specific locations and schedules of both options.

Virginia
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

There is a big difference between the two options. Staying multiple nights is much less stressful. Not everywhere I make a day trip to is a town or has a B&B, and I have found that I spend more time in a car when changing lodging. We typically set up a base for a week, which also has the added bonus of being offered a discount.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

Within that timescale I much prefer to have 2-3 different locations from which to explore. If you opt for locations like west Cork (Clonakilty or Skibbereen), Kenmare or Killarney in co. Kerry, Ennis or somewhere in the Burren and Galway you'll not be lost for a variety of things to do and places to see.

If you were able to fly into Dublin and return from Shannon (or t'other way round) you'd optimise your "seeing" time even more.

Have a look at these itineraries for an idea of what you could do in that timescale:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i30085-Itiner…

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21403-Irelan…

:-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

Eight nights is 4x2night stays or 3x2 (2x3) and 2 floating. Only you know what you want to see and do. Of course you could always opt to plant yourself in one base for the entirety in which case just make sure its not stuck somewhere you need to drive 3 hours on the same roads to get somewhere else.

Try giving some indication ow why you chose that particular area, what you want to see and what you would like to do. The more information the more relevant the advice,

NC
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

I, too am planning for the same region in 2015. After some brief thought and mapping out the distances with the longest day trip being 2.5 hours, I think i'm going with one place centrally located. I dont mind so much the packing but this way we can stay or go...do or dont and feel like we at least have a home base in a different country. I am thinking of Adare area as it is close to a lot but not too far from any one place. I had considered the "pick a b&B as we go" option, but may have ruled that out because I dont want to feel like if we get tired and can't find something convenient it may remove some of the fun. Plus, I'm not a reall fan of the cuisine so am opting for self-catering so I may eat a meal or two in the 9 days :)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

Sound advice from tony2phones!

I've had many 1-week holidays in Ireland where I've rented a cottage with my family and we've explored the immediate surrounding area, eg west Cork, or west Clare. However, if you want to see a bit more of the "lower half" of the Island, it may be worth considering 2 or 3 bases in different locations in order to cover a bigger area. I'm a big fan of b&bs and guest houses; I've always researched extensively here on Tripadvisor and using the following web-sites, and have never been disappointed with any of my chosen accommodation. Most establishments offer a comprehensive breakfast menu that sets you up for the day; I rarely need more than a cup of tea/coffee and a cake at lunch time!

www.sawdays.co.uk/accommodation/…

http://www.hiddenireland.com/

http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

I pondered the same thing and decided on several multi-night stays. While I would like to see as much as possible, weather in Ireland is unpredictable, and so is my energy level! With a multiple night stay, we could choose to just "rest" for a day and stay in or near the B&B. I have made a very flexible itinerary .. nothing booked but the B&B's... where we have 4 or 5 choices of what to do each day. Long day trip? short day trip? Sleep in, stay in town and shop and hang out a a pub all day? All options we will have depending on how we feel on a given morning - and perhaps on how much pub enjoyment we had the previous night. :)

the only thing I am considering pre-booking is a jaunting cart / boat tour around Killarney National Park... I'm just not sure how booked up they get since we will be traveling during high season. But we may even "just wing it" there too.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

wow! Thank you for all the great insight I think I need to separate what is a must see, prioritize based on that and come back here with a few itineraries for input !

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips or a different b & b each night?

i think you should do what makes you feel like you've gotten the most out of your time..i always hear people talking about unpacking and packing, which confuses me...am i the only person in the universe that doesn't unpack?....

if you kind of have an idea what you would like to "try" to see, share that with the wonderful folks on here and i'm sure they can tell you the best plan to get the most out of your time..1 night or 2 or 3, it will be wonderful....

unlike an earlier poster, I LOVE the cuisine......some of the best eats i've had anywhere....

i agree with sarnia too, if you could fly in dublin out shannon that would keep you from back tracking and cover a little more ground and not spend too much time in the car....

Edited: 12 April 2013, 05:10