We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

So I leave Colorado on June the 21st. Arrive in Dublin early on the 22nd. Will spend the 22nd and 23rd in Dublin. Leaving Dublin either the night of the 23rd or the morning of the 24th to Glendalough via bus. Spending the day of the 24th in Glendalough and day of 25th leaving either night of 25th or morning of 26th to Cork via train or bus(haven't checked). Spending day of 26th and 27th in Cork. Leaving either night of 27th or morning of 28th to Killarney again via train or bus. Spending day of 28th and 29th in Killarney. Leaving either night of 29th or morning of the 30th to Dingle probably via bus. Spending the day of the 30th and July 1st in Dingle. Leaving either night of 1st or morning of 2nd to Galway via whatever is available. Spending the day of the 2nd and 3rd in Galway. Following my routine here, I would leave Galway on the night of 3rd or morning of 4th to Dublin via train. BUT, I don't have to be in Dublin until the 6th, as I fly out on the 7th mid-morning. So I have the 4th and 5th to spend somewhere. I only want to spend the afternoon of the 6th in Dublin. So i'd like to leave from Galway on the morning of the 6th to Dublin. Question being should I stop in Kilkenny on my way to Cork? Or should I spend an extra day here and there? What do you all recommend I do with these two spare days? I very well may fall in love with one of my stops and stay an extra day, but is there one in particular I should plan an extra day for? Also, is it unrealistic to think I can get a train or bus in the evening to my next city and be able to find a hostel or is AM always better to plan on? As far as what I am doing when I get to each place, no itinerary there yet. I plan to talk to locals to see what they recommend. I also have a guide book coming in the mail. Yay! Thank you so much for your help everyone!!!! You have been great on all my questions!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

If you can add time to Galway, Dingle and/or Killarney, you will not regret. Also like the idea of just keeping a few days open just in case you fall in love with a location and want to stay longer. Enjoy!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,708 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

Its a long way from dingle to Galway by public transport. You could use two days to explore some of the areas in between.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

What the hell?

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

Unsure of what the "what the hell" is for. I'm just trying to figure out my schedule. I've never been to Ireland before so don't be rude. I'm trying to squeeze as much in as I can into the short amount of time that i'm there. If you think i'm stupid for whatever reason just move on. Thanks.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,708 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

Think the point Bryno is making in my usual fashion is that you need to have a close look at a journey planner, The rout you have is fine by car but by public transport which is sparse in places might not be feasible?

http://transportforireland.ie/

Hopefully it not a RS guide book you have on order.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

I'm late to this thread, would recommend staying in just 4 locations (with a final night in Dublin).

Stay in Dublin for 4 days - 2 to see the city, 1 for a daytrip to Glendalough, 1 for another daytrip (Newgrange, Howth).

Then take the train to Cork. From Cork you can take daytrips by public bus to Blarney, Cashel, Cahir, Kinsale.

Travel to Killarney - while there, take a daytour to Dingle. Then travel from Killarney to Galway (this journey will take the best part of a day). Lots of daytour options from Galway: Aran Islands, Connemara, Cliffs of Moher/Burren.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

I ended up deciding to do pretty much just that, trintraveler. I'll spend a few days in Dublin for city exposure and day tours to Glendalough and Giants of Causeway. Then train to cork for a few days to do day tours to Clifs of Moher, Blarney, and then the Belfast/titanic trip. Train to Killarney and do the day trip to Ring of Kerry and spend another couple days there just relaxing and exploring. From Killarney there is a bus to Dingle. I really would like to spend a night or two there. Then train or bus to Galway for couple days to see the city then back to Dublin for my final night or two. May even split up my dublin day trips to then as well.

Thanks for all your help!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

There is no regular direct bus from Killarney to Dingle. You must travel to Tralee and then catch the Dingle bus. Similarly if travelling from Dingle to Galway, you must change buses at Tralee and Limerick. The service is quite good, but transfers add considerably to the journey time

9. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 15:49
Edited: 11 July 2013, 15:49
10. Re: Rough Itenerary... 2 spare days, help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 07:17