We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Dublin so expensive?

Level Contributor
2 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Why is Dublin so expensive?

We took a trip to Ireland to celebrate our wedding anniversary, coming from England we are all too aware of 'austerity', pay freezes and general price increases - but nothing prepared us for Dublin prices.

Drinks averaged £5 irrespective of where we went - with two of the highest coming in at over £20 for 2x G&T's and a pint of Guiness!

Dog fouling seems to be an issue (I know all cities suffer from this - but it seemed particularly bad there).

A lot of begging (from all nationalities) at all times of the day and night.

Speaking of night - it's night time when Dublin comes in to its own,vibrant bars, street musicians, a wide variety of restaurants and all open until the early hours.

We were out until 01.00 one night (morning!), and the pubs and restaurants were in full flow - I was surprised at the fact that its not 'peak' holiday season and yet the pubs and clubs were packed to breaking point - people of all ages, spending a great deal of money and this was happening every night of the week.

England should follow Ireland's lead on fuel - Diesel is cheaper than petrol in order to support businesses (Taxis, haulage, farming etc), why not adopt the same in England?

Friendly people, a lot of History & culture, 24hr city - but all at a price that's disproportionate to other European cities with similar offerings.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

The rent in Ireland for most business is on a upwardely only basis so a pub in Temple bar could be paying between half a million and a million euros rent a year.Rates are at an all time high and you need a licence for nearly everything you do in a pub or restaurant.Minimum wages starts at €8.65 per hour so running cost are very high. If you travel out of town to places like Cabra or Finglas or Tallaght you will find that the pubs are nearly empty from Mondat to Friday and restaurants are closing at an alarming rate.Drink in any pub has a VAT content of 23% included in it employers have to pay 12.5% prsi on top of their staff wages.

Staff in every sector are getting taxed or the Government and local councils are adding on extra charges every week like water rates and now property tax.We are a tax nation paying back billions for the banks who for their part are in an excellorated programme of repossessions and anything else they can do to own all of this country.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,968 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

No more disproportionate than London and Accommodation a lot cheaper than say Huntingdon when we visit the Sil and family. You might have noticed on your wandering of Temple Bar that there were fewer locals than you might expect proportionately, that's because they don't drink there and visitors do. The problem with your G&T was that you were paying as much or more for the mixer than the spirit. I am not defending the price of drinks but as an overall package accommodation and ancillaries taken together Dublin can be a good value break.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
635 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

What areas did you spend most of your time in?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

Had a company call in the other day selling Craft Beers the cheapest to us was €2 per bottle to make any money we would have had to sell it at over €7 and one of their beers were €120.00 for a case of 12 €10 a bottle what would you sell that at to make a few bob.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

The price of booze and the reasons for it are well explained. As you say, our kilted friend, while Dublin has its problems, it has its attractions as well.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

Absolutely right what tony2phones says,you will find very few Dubliners drinking in the likes of the Temple Bar but that probably applies pretty much anywhere,it is a tourist area & as such visitors feel obliged to visit the 'touristy bits',we have done it but reverted to drinking elsewhere,especially after an experience a few years back when we went into the Oliver St John Gogerty,our usual stop in the area which hadn't been bad price wise for food & drink only for my Wife(her turn for the drinks!) to be charged 13Euro for a pint of Coors & a pint of Strongbow,ouch,looking at the menu a bowl of Irish Stew was 15Euro,at the time the exchange rate was 1 Euro to the Pound so £15 for a bowl of Irish Stew in a pub,no way,when we returned 6 months later their menu showed the stew at 20Euro,it had better be good!

Getting out of county Dublin makes a huge difference,in Killarney last year we could get 2 pints of the 'black stuff' for 7Euro,much more civilised!

Edited: 13 April 2013, 12:03
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

Dublin is probably no more expensive than most other. European capital cities because as outlined above business costs such as rent, rates are wages are usually higher than anywhere else in the country. Plus the fact that business owners are often greedy in their efforts to make a profit. Certainly if I owned a business in Dublin I would have tried to help the guy selling Craft Beer instead of telling him that his product is to expensive. Lets face it everyone has to start somewhere and try to build up their reputation.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

I was able to that in Malta recently except 3 pints cost €10 and a free coffee for me.What I do like about Temple Bar and across the street to Grafton Street area is the great choice in coffee shops and restaurants I know if I go into Bewleys I will be charged about €3 for a coffee but I dont go in there just for the food it is a wonderful restaurant with a lot of character and history.

Years ago when we were growing up Temple Bar had some great clubs and dirty pubs like the Dubliner or places like the Red Hackle but you dident have to pay a fortune to go there.

I was watching last Sundays episode of Foyles War on BBC and most of it was filmed in Dublin from the Mespil Road apartements to Ship Street and places in Dun Laoghaire all of them were used because they dont have many areas left like that in London to make period drama also the reason why they use Drimnagh Castle.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

I don't find it any more expense than other european cities than I've been to. It's rare nowadays that you will say in another european city, "That was cheaper than home"

All cities are cheaper for locals to live in because they have the knowledge and the time to seek out the more economical options.

I do agree completely with you about the dog fouling and the begging. It is not been tackled here by the authorities as it should be. They tackle the easy wins such as smoking in public places (simple to police). Any issue that needs public resources and money to police is practicaly ignored. For example, Dog Fouling, Begging, LIttering, Fly tipping, etc.

I hope you enjoyed your stay despite the negatives you experienced. I always lovemy trips to Dublin city. A real treat.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is Dublin so expensive?

Dog fouling used to be a huge problem in the Hague,it was everywhere,a few years ago when we visited we saw new signs everywhere warning of fines for this offence,a great improvement,well almost, there were a lot of police around,on horseback,they make a lot more mess than a dog!