We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odd question about bed linens

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Odd question about bed linens

My family of 4 is going to Ireland in May. My sister went to Ireland in March and loved it but she told me the strangest thing. She said that the beds in the hotels have a bottom sheet and a comforter with a sheet-like cover on it but no top sheet or blanket. So she said she was either hot with the comforter or cold without it - nothing in between!

Is this common or was it just the hotels she happened to stay at? I have been reading a lot of forums questions and haven't seen this topic addressed.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odd question about bed linens

In all my trips to Ireland I have stayed in over 20 different B&B's, a few hotels, 2 farmhouses, one castle and only came across this situation once about 30 years ago. I'm curious to see what others have to say. Going again in September and will be interested in the sheet situation. Maybe it's more common in hotels than in B&B's??

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Odd question about bed linens

In my experience this is very common all over Europe. It's a sort of duvet/comforter in a sheet like covering. I have found this bedding situation from Wales to Istanbul, to Romania. I should note that we stay in everything from fancy timeshares to hostels and have had this bedding in all types of accommodations.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odd question about bed linens

If by comforter you mean a duvet then its normal just to have the duvet, in a cover, as a covering, but its always ok to ask for an extra blanket, I know what you mean, this is what I have at home, just a duvet in a cover, hot with it, cold without it. LOL. We have several with different thicknesses. Out of interest, what is normal in the States?

Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Odd question about bed linens

I have been travelling in Ireland since April 3rd and have yet to see a top sheet! But the duvets and beds are lovely.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odd question about bed linens

As fuchsiagirl states, it's the "norm" to have duvets these days; we've used them at home for 30+ years and similarly have different thicknesses for summer + winter. In fact, I'm struggling to remember when I last found sheets/blankets on a bed, not only in Ireland but in the UK and France as well. In some guest accommodation in Ireland I've found blankets tucked in the wardrobe - and of course it's fine to ask for a blanket/quilt if you're feeling cold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duvet

Oh - and I too am now very curious to know what you use in US??

:-)

Edited: 17 April 2013, 09:03
United States
Level Contributor
288 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odd question about bed linens

Interesting. In the states we have the bottom sheet of course, covering the mattress, but then there's a thin top sheet to cover up with, then on top of that sheet is typically your blanket or duvet, comforter, etc. so you can throw off the blanket or whatever and just be left with the thin top sheet if you get hot. Kind of like layering clothing.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Odd question about bed linens

I will answer about what we do in US ...

Most often, we will have a bottom sheet and a top sheet, and then an assortment of blankets/quilts on top of that depending on your climate (here in the Northeast, I use 3 during the winter, and one lightweight one in the summer). For those of us used to the "weight" of multiple blankets during the winter, it can be hard to get used to a lightweight but cozy duvet!

You are beginning to see duvets and duvet covers more often than you used to, but I think it is more the exception than the norm. And you don't often see different weights of duvet.

You see them more often in hotels, and most often in the upscale hotels in the big cities. In other hotels, you are beginning to see blankets folded between sheets to get the same sanitary effect as a duvet cover -- although that solution seems complicated to me!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Odd question about bed linens

Thanks for the answers. It sounds like a top sheet is rare in Ireland and all over Europe. We will be staying in hotels, apartments, and B&B's so it will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

In the US, you can buy sheets separately but a lot of times they come packaged as a set: bottom sheet, top sheet and 2 pillowcases.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Odd question about bed linens

I too have traveled quite a bit in Europe and have found this in quite a few locals...the most bothersome was in Basel Switzerland during a horrible heat wave and no air conditioning....

Anyway, I was just trying to recall and on our two trips so far to Ireland (2006 and 2011), I can only recall there being a bottom sheet and duvet in one place (on both trips, the same place). I am usually a very hot natured person so typically kick off a blanket/duvet/comforter especially if the temperature is above freezing. The only place that I recall being uncomfortable due to no top sheet was our hotel in Galway (though we will continue to stay there again regardless of the no top sheet item).

So maybe since we traveled in March and then Sept/Oct with the window open in our rooms, I didn't have the need to kick off the duvet...but I am pretty sure that all other place besides the Galway lodging had a top sheet....DH doesn't remember those kinds of things (and yes, I did ask!). :-)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Odd question about bed linens

what we do if it is too hot with the duvet in its cover on the bed, is to take the duvet out of the cover and use the cover only, folding the duvet up and putting it in/on the wardrobe.