We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Heritage

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Irish Heritage

My wife and I are headed to Ireland next month. There are Irish roots in my family lineage, and of course we'd love to visit the places where I have family roots. The issue I've run into is that I cannot locate the towns (maybe villages) where my roots are... I have an obituary for my great, great grandmother. It indicates she was born in Rathmasere, Limerick County, and she was married in Bonaglass, Limerick County. From my (limited) research, it seems there are towns, villages, townships, and boroughs in Ireland. Perhaps Rathmasere and Bonaglass are such tiny communities that they're difficult to locate online.. Also, based on the obituary, there are definitely some spelling errors, so this may be contributing to my troubles...

In any case, if anyone could shed some light on where these towns may be, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. :)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Heritage

I wonder if the spellings are wrong, and the names should be "Boolaglass" and "Rathnaseer"; both are "townlands" located in the Barony of Connello Lower, which I guess may be near the town of Rathkeale (short drive sw of Limerick city):

countylimerickgenealogy.com/limerick_townlan…

This is a clearer explanation of "Townlands" than I can offer you:

clarelibrary.ie/eolas/…townland.htm

These sites may help with family research:

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

http://www.rootsireland.ie/

I'm by no means familiar with all the resources available for researching family heritage, so hopefully others will see this post and add their advice.

:-)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Heritage

Also found details including a map indicating the "civil parish" of Nantinan and a list of the most common surnames in 1851-52:

http://tinyurl.com/c7xzefd

libraryireland.com/topog/N/Nantinan-Lower-Co…

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Heritage

Agree with the info above re. Boolaglass and Rathnaseer. Both these townlands are located near Rathkeale on the R518.

As we do not know surname you are looking for, suggest that you have a look on the 1901 & 1911 census to see if there are family members living in these townlands: www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Also reommend you check the Limerick Griffith Valuations (1851-52). The library might have available records of Rathkeale & Nantinan gravestones (Church of Ireland).The Rathkeale catholic records from 1811 might also be available on www.rootsireland.ie

Good luck with your search

Edited: 18 April 2013, 21:17
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish Heritage

Someone asked a similar question a while ago about a Wicklow townland and we came up with a misspelling by the OP - verified by cross referencing with the 1901 census.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish Heritage

Thank you all so much for your kind and helpful responses. It seems there were in fact spelling issues. I've taken a look at the census, and no luck. They moved to the U.S. (Connecticut) in 1864 so I imagine this is why they are not on the census. There names were Mary Barrett, born in "Rathmasere" on April 19, 1837. She married Timothy Meaney in 1856 in "Bonaglass". Thanks again everyone! -John

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish Heritage

even now some place names are spelt differently on maps to signs and there can be local variations going round, the translation from Irish to English sometimes just means changing a couple of letters,(mh to v,) and old documents relied on someone being able to read and copy someone else.s writing, Good Luck!!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish Heritage

@ John C

All the townlands are marked on the Ordnance Survey Discovery Series Maps, which cover the whole of the Island. I can't tell whether you need no. 64 or 65; hopefully someone at OSI will be able to help

www.osi.ie/Products/Tourist-Leisure.aspx

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Irish Heritage

There were small tennant farmer Barrett's & Meaney's living in and around Rathkeale in 1825 when the Tithe Applotments were undertaken. This lists a Richard Barrett at Drumard Demesne and a Maurice Meaney at Woolburges and Ballywilliam/Graigh Hill. Later with the Griffith Valuations (1851-52) there are several Barrett's and a Bridget Meaney in the Rathkeale area. Ref. www.irishgenealogy.ie

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Irish Heritage

Thanks again everyone. This is very helpful. I'll share the information with my family to see if any of these names ring a bell. At the very least, it seems I have enough information for us to visit the area(s) where my family likely comes from. Thanks again!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Irish Heritage

Try this link: maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/…10 Zoom in on Rathkeale and click on the Historic 6" to change from the current map to the version from about 1840 - which should give you the spellings of the townlands before your folks left these shores. The Historic 25 dates from about 1905.