We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland help and questions

NY, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ireland help and questions

Hello everyone,

We leave in a little ,ore than a week for Ireland. It's my first trip but my friend went a lot as a child but has not been in 15 years. Here is what we have so far as an itinerary. Any critique of it would be super helpful and suggestions for how to flush it out a bit. Below I have a couple questions:

Day 1:

Arrive in Dublin 5 AM rent a car and drive to Kilkenny. Relax and explore a little and stay in the family house

Day 2:

Make our way to Killarney, stay at earl's court.

Day 3:

Make our way to Dingle, stay at heaton's

Day 4-5:

End up in Doolin and use it as a base for 2 nights. Stay at daly house.

Day 6-8:

Stay in Dublin.

Questions:

Any suggestions of a place to stay in Dublin? Our budget is $150/night but we would like to be in the center.

Advice on who to rent a car from? Would like to get an automatic.

Is earl's court a good choice?

There has been discussion of a horse ride somewhere, any ideas?

And in general what not to miss!

Thanks!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland help and questions

So,, you havent booked your car yet? You may well have to take what's available, you should have booked the car when you booked the flight. There is horse riding in Killarney and Dingle but I cant see that you wil have time for it in either.

Norwalk, CT
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland help and questions

I just got a good deal on the Kayak website with Dollar Rent a Car-got a good automatic no problem. It comes up as Eurostar in Ireland but you will see the Dollar sign with it. A word of advice from a fellow Yank- It is very dark when you land at 5am and we had tea at the airport and watched the sun rise before heading out. It is hard to get used to driving on the left so go slow at first and your co-pilot will really need to watch the signs-they go fast.....Also if you have time to look into getting a Mastercard with the "World" status-it would help with the cost of insurance.

When you are in Killarney you can have a carriage ride-but it's like the Central Park carriage rides so I'm not sure if that's what you are interested in. I have stayed in very cozy b&bs in Killarney-I don't know Earl's Court. Lakes of Killarney are a must-see-the roads around Kerry are very windy and steep so be alert. Hope this is helpful!

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland help and questions

re dublin

stayed at burlington hotel for about 90 euros a night for 4 stars. mlle to centre and a nice walk ( in my view)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland help and questions

Killarney has a lot to see and do. You will definitely be able to do horse riding there. You can hire a horse at the Gap of Dunloe at Kate Kearneys cottage. Be warned these horses know where they are going so a little experience would help but isn't essential I've done it great fun. I would be tempted to stay 2 days in Killarney. Enjoy your trip. Also excellent seafood chowder on the pub on seafront in Dingle. Drive around Slea head its beautiful. Roads arw windy though.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 21:05
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland help and questions

So if you have the Mastercard World status card then you don't have to get the CDW insurance?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland help and questions

What I was told was that you have to decline the extra collision insurance and the person who's name is on the card has to be the primary on the booking. Then they cover you on the world MasterCard.

As to the other comments: we don't need an automatic just would make things easier and there appear to be plenty available.

Thanks for all of the help so far!

Reno, Nevada...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland help and questions

We rented an automatic mini-van from Dan Dooley and paid for the additional collision insurance just to be on the safe side. I would highly recommend an automatic, it made driving much easier having less to think about. Be sure to budget some money for parking in Dublin if you're going to be driving.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland help and questions

The horses tied up at places like Muckross in Killarney and the Gap of Dunloe wouldn't be of great quality.

http://www.killarney-riding-stables.com/ have horses that would have better mouth and manners.

9. Re: Ireland help and questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 06:18