We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Mohr, the Burren on to Dingle

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs of Mohr, the Burren on to Dingle

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's too much to do in one day to travel by car from Shannon to see the Burren and Cliffs of Mohr and then end up in Dingle for the night (taking the ferry near Tarbert)? Anyone know about how much time we should allow? Also, if it's too far to go in a day, are there any suggestions where we might stay the night before going to Dingle?

There are just two of us and we get up and going early.

Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs of Mohr, the Burren on to Dingle

Straight of a transatlantic flight... not a good Idea, Better to use Ennis as a base, night one see the cliffs and Burren then take the Shannon Tunnel after a stop at Bunratty folk park on day two.

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs of Mohr, the Burren on to Dingle

We'll actually be arriving from Scotland the previous day, so we shouldn't be too tired. I wanted to spend two nights in Dingle, but it may not be possible after seeing the Burren and Cliffs. If it's too far to travel to Dingle, is there a good place to stay between The Cliffs and Dingle?

Thanks for your help!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs of Mohr, the Burren on to Dingle

What time do you land in Shannon? It's about 75-minute drive to the west coast, so I wonder if you have time to drive there once you land from Scotland - or do you have a late arrival?

The Burren is a large area, so you need minimum of a day to visit a few sites plus the Cliffs of Moher. Then it's about 3.5-4hrs drive down to Dingle.

It's a tough choice, but it might be best to forget the Cliffs and Burren, and after a night in/near Shannon, head down to Kilkee and see Loop Head (fabulous cliffs and scenery without the crowds), then head on to Dingle for 2 nights. This would certainly be doable:

Shannon to Kilbaha for Loop Head (approx. 2hrs drive)

http://www.loopheadclare.com/

flickr.com/photos/…

Kilbaha - Kilrush - Killimer - Shannon ferry to Tarbert - Listowel - Tralee - Dingle (approx 3-3.5hrs)

http://www.shannonferries.com/timetable/

Dingle definitely deserves minimum 2-night duration, particularly when you're not arriving until late afternoon/early evening:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19068-Best_o…

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19854-Dingle…

flickr.com/photos/…

:-)

4. Re: Cliffs of Mohr, the Burren on to Dingle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 06:17