We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

What is the best scenic and pleasant in-land drive from Galway to Adare? We will take one day for this journey, leaving around 10am and arriving in Adare late afternoon. Do not know which side of which Loch is best.

THANKS.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

Our side of Lough Derg (West) follows Lough Derg closest and continuous from Potumna down to Killaloe and then across. bit late now but will do a map in the morning.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

THANKS, TONY. Sleep well, and no map needed. I have the OSI Map right here.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

http://goo.gl/maps/EUjNI just rough.

Loughrea Cathedral is worth a quick look then up the hill past the lough to Ballinakill dogleg, Down through Abbey (which has an Abbey) and Kylemore (which does not)

Portumna forest park can only be accesed via the Marina/Castle entry, the scaffold is away from the Abbey down there now. Not sure if the Workhouse Centre is open? Know they have been advertising for guides.

Down the Lough Derg, Call into Mountshannon Harbour Ger will take you over to Holy Island and give the tour (about €15 I think) possibly the East Clare Heritage centre and down to Killaloe/Ballina

Few other points on the route as well, when are you planning? I'll put the coffee and scones on,

night 4now.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 00:37
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

Thanks again Tony: We will be on this bit of the trek on Thursday, May 16. And, you just talked me out of Kylemore in favor of the real Abbey. This way we will also be able to spend the day on Tuesday round the Sky Road after lunch at Mitchell's in Clifden.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

You might want to try the Marconi or Off the Square in Clifden rather than a place which exists on a far better reputation than it deserves. Don't let me talk you out of Kylemore Abbey one of my forbears sweated blood building that place. Just go onto the Carpark and to the visitors centre for a photo shoot, It has to be a really nice day to pay and go in for the Walled Garden (well worth seeing in Summer) and the memorial chapel. Then take the road back towards Galway via Cong, assuming you took the N59 out there,

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

One more twist: If you had a choice of #1 driving along Logh Berg or #2 - taking the day to drive down from Galway to Loop Head and then take the ferry over to Tarbert and then over to Adare????

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

That depends on whether you saw west Clare on the way up to Galway?

Probably down to Loop head because I see East Clare/Galway every day and only see west Clare a dozen times a year. Best way is to have a couple of days or more to do both. East Clare is more Hiking,Riding,Boating and Fishing where west Clare is more coastal drive.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

Fantastic input. We now have weather dependent options in a few places. If the weather is clear that day we'll drop down to Loop Head and if not, it the Lough route.

Thanks again, Tony.

Love TA and the great advice and insight from the DE's

9. Re: Best In-Land Drive from Galway to Adare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:17