We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

final itinerary?

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
final itinerary?

After many hours spent on the forum and combing through guidebooks, this is hopefully my third and final itinerary. Would welcome suggestions.

We are couple in our early 50's (this is my 50th b- day trip). We like to see a lot of historical sites and nature, but also enjoy relaxing in pub after a day of site-seeing. My brother and sister-in-law will also be joining us for the first part of trip.

Sept 9- arriving in Dublin at 9:25 am from Chicago

Should we take taxi or air coach to hotel? There will be four of us plus our luggage.

Haven't made reservation for hotel yet. Thinking of Cambden court hotel, Arlington hotel temple bar or Albany house. Has anyone stayed at one of these hotels? Want to be close to city center.

Rest of day will be site-seeing.

Book of kells

Chesster Beatty library

Christ church cathedral

Dublin castle

Kilmainham gaol

National museum of Ireland archaeology

St Patrick's cathedral

Guiness storehouse

Probably take HoHo bus for all this

Sept10- Dublin- finish what we didn't see the day before. Pub crawl maybe?

2nd night in Dublin.

Sept11- Take taxi or airbus to airport to pick up rental car. Dublin to Enniskerry-Powerscourt house and garden and waterfall.

Enniskerry to Glendalough- Glendalough round tower and monastery.

Glendalough to kilkenny- moones high cross

Browne's hill dolmen

Night in kilkenny. B&b choices-Carriglea or butler court? Any suggestions? Again want to stay fairly close to town center.

Sept 12- Kilkenny- black abbey

Kilkenny castle and design craft center

Kilkenny to Cashel

Rock of cashel

Cashel to Cahir

Cahir castle

Cahir to Kinsale

charlesfort

Desmond castle

Maybe Scilly walk if time and still have energy

Night in kinsale. B&b choices The cloisters, Pier house, Friars lodge, the old presbytery.

Suggestions?

Sept13- kinsale to killarney

blarney castle?

Muckross house and gardens

short hike in killarney national park- blue pool nature trail or mossy woods trail?

killarney to kenmare

kenmare druid circle

night in kenmare- B&b- Old church house

Sept 14- ring of kerry

sneem

staigue fort

waterville

skellig ring loop

Boat trip to skellig island? Time and weather permitting??

cahersiveen- ring forts

glenbeigh

Killorglin to dingle

night in dingle- Pax guesthouse

Sept 15- Visit town of dingle and slea head drive. Take my brother and sister-in-law to tralee to catch train back to Dublin( 9/16 flight).

tralee to dingle

night 2 in dingle

Sept 16- Dingle to Ennis

Ennis friary

cliffs of moher

Doolin- cliffs of moher and Inisheer Island cruise?

Back to Ennis for night- B&b- Newpark house

Sept 17- Ennis to kilfenora- Burren centre

lisdoonvarna- Burren smoke house

Ballyvaughn- gleninsheem wedge tomb

Poulnabrone dolmen

Back to Ennis for 2nd night

Sept 18- Ennis to Trim

Trim castle

Trim to Hill of Tara

Back to Trim for night- B&b- Highfield house

Sept 19- Trim to Newgrange and Knowth

Newgrange to Monasterboice

- Old Millfont Abbey?

Back to Trim for 2nd night

Sept 20- Trim to Dublin airport. Return rental car. 3:45pm flight to Chicago.

What do you think? Too much? Did I miss a must see? Of course I also want to spend some time to visit pubs, restaurants and do a little shopping :)

Thank you all for your input!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: final itinerary?

If you cut a day in Dingle it would make Logistic sense to drop your Bronlaw in Tralee or Limerick on the way across the Shannon if you have to keep the two Dingle nights then roll back taking a day from Dublin. (unfortunately years in logistics stick). Other than that fine

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: final itinerary?

You've chosen some super places to visit :-)

I'll stick to those areas I know best; hope these comments help:

September 11 : Dublin - Powerscourt - Glendalough - Moone - Browne's Hill dolmen - Kilkenny

This is a busy day; expect to spend a couple of hours each at Powerscourt and Glendalough; it takes around 45-60min to drive between the two. Not sure if you'll have time for the High Cross and Dolmen; see how time goes.

September 12 : Kilkenny - Cashel - Cahir - Kinsale

I think Kilkenny sites will take up 2.5-3 hours in the morning (I spent over 1hr at the Castle), then it's an hour's drive to Cashel. You'll probably spend around 90 minutes visiting the Rock, before the short drive down to Cahir; maybe 45-60 minutes at Cahir. It could be late afternoon by the time you reach Kinsale, so you may not have time for Charles Fort, which lies a short distance from the town, or Desmond Castle.

I've stayed at the Old Presbytery twice (many years ago) and am returning this summer for a night. Nice location on the edge of town; however, I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of your options.

September 13 : Kinsale - Blarney - Killarney - Kenmare

That looks fine, I think, although I'm not sure if you'll have time for a hike. However, you can walk through Muckross gardens to Torc Waterfall, which is very pleasant; there are signs from the house through the gardens.

Doubt if the druids had anything to do with Kenmare stone circle; you'll find it located a short walk from market square. There is a fee to visit : €2.

September 14 : Ring of Kerry - Dingle

Looks ok, but I doubt if you've time for Skellig Michael; boats leave Portmagee at 1000, returning around 1530, so that wouldn't leave you time to see sites/sights on the Ring.

Great choice of Guest house in Dingle :-)

September 15 : Dingle Peninsula + return trip to Tralee

Slea Head drive takes several hours (minimum 3) just to see a few of the sites:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19854-Dingle…

flickr.com/photos/…

Allow 1hr from Dingle town to Tralee

I guess it does make sense not to return to Dingle - BUT - I think you'd really regret only having 1 night at Pax.

September 16-17 Dingle - Ennis - Burren - Ennis

I'm really not sure why you're staying in Ennis, when you plan to spend virtually both days in/around the Burren? It means alot of back-tracking each day (1hrs drive each way), and if you stay somewhere in north Clare, you'd probably have time to fit in the Cliffs/Inis Oirr cruise.

I'd drive this route:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i20532-Dingle…

and stay in Ballyvaughan village or Fanore (alot quieter location on the west coast: fab views):

http://www.ballyvaughanireland.com/

burrenconnect.ie/town_and_places/fanore.html

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

The rest of your plans look fine :-)

I do wonder, as there are 4 of you, whether a taxi would be as economical as the aircoach? I guess it depends which hotel you choose; they might be able to give you an idea of taxi cost so you can compare prices.

:-)

Canada
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: final itinerary?

Your first day in Dublin- you will likely only see half your list. For places like Dublin Castle and Kilmainham gaol, admission is by guided tour only and you may have to wait up to 30 minutes for next tour to start.

Last year there was no charge for the stone circles in Kenmare, donation box only and they were really a disappointment. The Drombeg Stone Circles near Skibbereen were better with signage explaining some off their history,.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: final itinerary?

I agree with mathladyca re Kenmare circle being a disappointment; I first visited it 17yrs ago on my first trip to Ireland and the surrounding area was very different. The area has since been developed and the immediate land around the circle is very "manicured".

There wasn't anyone at the ticket box, just a politely phrased request for €2 on the door.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: final itinerary?

Thank you so much for all the useful info. Thinking about just staying Dublin one night.

If we arrive at Dublin airport at 9:25 am, take taxi to hotel, stow luggage and get on HOHO bus would we be able to visit Chester Beatty library (quick visit), Dublin castle, Kilmainham gaol, National Ireland museum of archeology (quick visit) and guiness storehouse and some lunch in one day? We don't plan on resting till at least 8 pm. We did this when we flew to London and had no problem with jet lag.Of course that was 10 years ago:)

Also scrapping kenmare circle, skellig Michael boat trip and adding another full day in dingle then dropping off brother in tralee on way to Ennis. Sound like a good plan? All input welcome. Thanks

6. Re: final itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 06:17