We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental: Do they run out?

Florida
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental: Do they run out?

Hello:

We are flying into Shannon in early September for 24 days. We want an intermediate, manual, diesel. Flight gets in early. When we depart, flight leaves at noon. To keep from being charged an extra day, the thought is: do things at Shannon, such as Heritage Pass; Euros; breakfast, delaying the start time on the car rental until something reasonable. Say, 10 am. We will be behind most other folks. Does this imply that there will be fewer cars, smaller chance of getting what we want? What's the right way to play this? BTW, we're in-between Easy Tour, USAA, and Dooley.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,218 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

Flights are coming and going all morning long at Shannon. If people are flying out at Noon, they're dropping cars off at 9:00. In many (many!) trips to Shannonm I've never had an issue getting a vehicle.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

The only factor might be getting a Diesel engined car. Simply pre book a 10am collection.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

you must pre book, I remember being told by the chap at the desk in Kerry airport that they had 30 cars booked out that day, I said I was surprised he had that many, he said he hadnt, but hopefully some would come back in early!!

Florida
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

Aha! Did not know you could specify pick-up time. Thought it was tied to flight arrival info, and, within that, first come-first serve among reservations. Thanks! Any preferences among the three candidates I mentioned?

Edited: 25 April 2013, 19:53
Canada
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

If the car you ordered is not available ( maybe there is a late return etc), I would insist on a larger car at no extra charge. This happened to me and I ended up with a diesel, large car at no extra charge.

There is not a whole lot to do in Shannon airport on arrival. Get your Euros from an ATM machine rather than an exchange booth.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

Dooley or Easytour no idea who USAA are. If you are taking your time getting off the plane and through customs there is a second ATM past Londis in the old Chck in area at the side of the cash exchange booth. The Cafe upstairs now makes a decent breakfast from early or cross over to the Park Inn Hotel facing Arrivals entry, they do non residents breakfast.

Florida
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

Math lady: what company did you rent from? Tony: thanks. I read all your stuff. Did you seemy post, re: my 24 day itinerary?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

I hadn't taken notice, you posted at a bad time for me and I wasn't up to reading through anything too wordy. Have had a quick look and it looks ok but will give it some time in the morning,,,Are you set on the Foyles for Clifden, have you considered self catering for that week? and will you be there Arts Week 19-29th Sept?

Florida
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

We are booked. Wanted a place in-town, do some pubs. We depart Clifden on 19 September. Thought it would still be pretty good the week before...

Canada
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental: Do they run out?

I used Avis. Was completely happy with them. From reading posts before I went, it seems that every single rental company has both people who rave about them and people who would never ever rent again.

Just make sure that you are insured to the max. They didn't even do a walk around when I took the car back because i had the super.