We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using ATMs in Ireland

Bakersfield
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Using ATMs in Ireland

When using a Bank of America Checking Debit Card @ an Irish bank's ATM, can anyone tell me approximately the amount of cash received. Example: if you asked for 200 Euros, would that be a normal transaction and would the machine honor it?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,704 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using ATMs in Ireland

If you ask for €200 you get €200 how much that works out in $ in your Bank account depends on the exchange rate at the time and how much Your Bank charges for using the free Irish ATM.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using ATMs in Ireland

I'll take a stab at this because I want to make sure I understand how this works. Anyone who wants to check my math or thought process please chime in.

The current exchange rate is about $1.32/1 euro. So the 200 euro would cost you $264. On top of that, most banks, I believe B of A included, charge a 3% foreign currency translation fee. On $264, that's about another $8. It's my unerstanding that most Irish ATM's don't charge a fee, but your bank may also add a "foreign ATM" fee - foreign in this case meaning it's not one of theirs. So let's say that is $5.

Your withdrawal of 200 euro would then result in a charge to your US bank account of $264 + $8 + $5 or $277, give or take a few cents.

does that make sense and does it answer your question? Anyone else want to chime in?

Edited: 25 April 2013, 19:25
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,196 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using ATMs in Ireland

I believe you've got it NJ2!

I would add that it is best to call your bank to find out not only their foreign transaction fees, but also any foreign ATM fees AND other fees that may be charged (such as Visa or MC may add another 3% if their logo is on the card ). Also let your bank know the dates that you will be in Ireland so they do not block your transactions.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using ATMs in Ireland

We used the machine at the airport on arrival, €300 was the max at that location. Checked my bank account and it was $390 withdrawl. No additional fees from either side, we used a VISA debit card through our credit union. YMMV

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using ATMs in Ireland

Do tell your bank that you will be withdrawing cash from Irish ATMs in case they suspend your account if they suspect fraud.

Knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Using ATMs in Ireland

I used my credit union debit card. No foreign transaction fee, just a 1$ atm fee from my bank.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,565 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using ATMs in Ireland

To find the true cost of exchange you need to compare the exchange rate you get with the 'official' exchange rate at the same time.Try something like http://www.xe.com/ - they also have an app for smart phones. Don't forget to add on all the fees. The true exchange rate is how much you got in foreign currency divided by how much you paid in home currency including all fees.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using ATMs in Ireland

You may want to consider opening a no-fee online account with Capital One . . . no int'l transaction fees at all.

9. Re: Using ATMs in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:17