We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballycastle-Armagh-Dublin

Phoenix, Arizona
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ballycastle-Armagh-Dublin

I am taking my mother on a very special vacation - Europe for the first time, and she's 75! Her ancestry is Irish and Scottish (she lives in Canada). We will be staying in Campbeltown, Scotland area and taking the Kintyre ferry to Ballycastle. What is the best way to get to Dublin from Ballycastle, N. Ireland, with a stop in Armagh for just a few hours (her relatives are from Armagh and Campbeltown). Thank you kindly

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballycastle-Armagh-Dublin

Presuming that you are driving and that your are referring to Armagh City then this is straightforward, about 2 hours drive to Armagh via Antrim/A26 and another 2 hours from Armagh to Dublin, so plenty of time to see the sights in Armagh. If you are going elsewhere in County Armagh then maybe add a few minutes, it is pretty much on the way in any case.

Public transport is a bit harder, but also possible.

Phoenix, Arizona
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballycastle-Armagh-Dublin

Thank you for your reply. For now, we are planning on taking public transportation (bus or train?). We feel uncomfortable driving as we are from Canada. Appreciate your advice.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballycastle-Armagh-Dublin

You could try posting on the Northern Ireland forum. As far as I can see, you will need to get a Goldliner bus from Ballycastle to Belfast

translink.co.uk/Documents/…20217.pdf

(journey times 2 hours)

Then get another Goldliner bus from Belfast to Armagh

translink.co.uk/Services/…

(journey time 1.5 hours)

This will be a long day's travelling and you may well have a wait for the next bus depending on ferry times so I think you would need to overnight in Armagh.

The only day there is a bus from Coleraine to Armagh is Friday afternoon for students travelling home from the nearby university. Aside from the above, the only other option would be to get a bus from Ballycastle to Coleraine, then get a train to Portadown and then get a bus to Newry. You will find timetables on the translink website but it isn't the easiest website to navigate and without knowing a date or ferry time, I can't help much further.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 07:42
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballycastle-Armagh-Dublin

On public transport this may be a problem if you are carrying a lot of luggage. Maybe spend a couple of days in Belfast and take a day trip to Armagh.

5. Re: Ballycastle-Armagh-Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 06:17