We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenmare to Cashel

Drysdale, Victoria...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kenmare to Cashel

I am looking for the best route between these towns, that is the best route for driving. And an approximation of drive time in August. We don't have time to stop off in Cork this trip. I wondered though if the road was better going this way. Or better to take what appears the shorter route through Mallow. I have read on many posts that a shorter distance does not always equate to a quicker trip in Ireland. We are from Australia so used to left hand drive.

Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

The recommended route is the one you mentioned via Mallow. It is 175Km About a 2.5 hour drive, but to be honest either route will get you there in a reasonable time.

If I were doing it, I'd go via Mallow.

Drysdale, Victoria...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

Thanks for that advice.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

From Kenmare take the R569 to the N22

don't go over the mountain N71

Drysdale, Victoria...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

Oh thanks. So is that through Mallow or not?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

The R569 connects to the N22. The N22 is the Cork to Killarney road. The junction with the R569 is about 7 or 8 miles SE of the Killarney junction of the N72 -- which is the Mallow Road. It is marginally shorter 55 miles and will take about 1.5 - 2 hours.

The route via the N71 'Mountain Road' is 61.5 miles and will take 2 - 2.5 hours. The N71 portion is about 20 miles of VERY windy, twisty, narrow -- AND extremely scenic roadway. It IS, in fact, some of the very best part of the Ring of Kerry. It is also the MAIN Kenmare-to-Killarney road. If you have already driven it previously during your stay, then by all means, you can skip it.

Otherwise, you'll be missing out of some GLORIOUS spots -- Moll's Gap, Ladies View, Torc Falls and glimpses of the Lakes and the National Park.

Bob

Edited: 27 April 2013, 02:01
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

Sorry -- above data was Kenmare to Mallow.

Kenmare to Cashel, via the R569, N22, R570, N72, N73 and N8 is 105 miles and approx. 3-3.5 hours.

Via the N71 to N72 and on, is 110 miles and may take as much as 30 minutes more.

My same Caveats apply.

Bob

Drysdale, Victoria...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

Ok Bob. The more information I get the more questions are raised. It has also shown me I did not do enough research before booking our b&bs. I will give you an overview of what I had been thinking and perhaps you can tell me where I have gone wrong.

We are arriving Dublin Tues early afternoon. Chosen to train it to Kilkenny because of jet lag and after overnighting will take a hire car on to Kenmare. One night there then back to Cashel for next night and then Castletown Geoghegan for the wedding that is the reason we are in Ireland. then 2 nights Dublin before moving on. I hoped to travel some of ring of Beara while at Kenmare but with times you have indicated seems that may not be possible. What do you suggest?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

So you have three nights, including arrival, is that correct? Kilkenny, Kenmare and Cashel -- then the wedding and then 2 more nights -- ear-marked for Dublin?

Is there car hire available in Kilkenny that allows one-way rentals? I see there is an Enterprise agent (a Nissan dealer). Minimum requirements are age 25, but it is unclear if they offer one-way rentals.

Do you mean Mount Druid??? weddingvenuesireland.ie/venue/boutique-campi… That's in Westmeath, near Mullingar.

How does Cashel fit in?

It looks like you are all over the map ... Kenmare and Beara are a bit far. It COULD be possible, but it would depend upon your answers to my questions --

Bob

Edited: 27 April 2013, 04:46
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

Okay -- I reviewed some of your earlier posts. Here's my rec -- if Beara is the priority.

Day 1: Arriving 2:30 PM after a long-haul flight. Shuttle to Heuston Station and then train to Killarney. Spend the night.

Day 2: Hire a car from the Kerry Airport -- or, alternately, I THINK Budget offers town center pick up. Drive South on the N71 to Kenmare, with a brief stop at Ladies View. Just below Kenmare, turn onto the R571 to Laraugh and drive the Healey Pass to Adrigole. Take the R572 East to Glengarriff to rejoin the N71. Turn NW on the R584 and then onto the R585, R590, N22, R589 and R617, into Blarney. Spend the night. 115 miles and about 4.5 hours drive time. With stops, meals, etc. --- it's a full day.

I'm NOT a huge Blarney fan -- and I've NEVER snogged the rock -- but it's a good stopping point -- Lots of B&Bs. Great Shopping, if you are into that. Beautiful grounds at Blarney, in addition to the castle and the Manor House -- or if you should actually arrive early, it's not too far to downtown Cork city ...

Day 3: Drive the N20 S and go around Cork on the North Ring Road, to the N8. Follow it to Cashel for a look and maybe a meal (Ryan's Daughter has GREAT scones!) then continue North on the N8 to the Portlaois exit of R423. In town, it turns into the N80. Just outside of Tullamore it intersects the N52. Follow the N52 NE until it turns into the R389 at the M6 junction. The R589 will lead you into Castletown Geoghegan. Distance is 145 miles and DRIVE time is about 3.5 - 4 hours depending upon traffic. With stops, that's do-able. You might could even add in a short detour to Cahir, just South of Cashel, for a peek at the restored Castle used by John Boorman, for his 1981 film, "Excaliber".

On the other hand, having attended an Irish wedding just last April -- you MIGHT want to hurry up to your accommodation -- and get some rest! My wife's Cousin's daughter's wedding lasted THREE days!

Day 4: Wedding

Day 5: Drive to Dublin, return car and try to relax and recover.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Drysdale, Victoria...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenmare to Cashel

Yes you've got the nights right. We have booked enterprise car hire in Kilkenny to be dropped off at Dublin airport Sat. Then we'll use public transport till we leave Mon morning.

Wedding at Middleton Park House in Castletown Geoghegan. Chose Kilkenny to get us out of Dublin a bit on the first day for a bit of a headstart. Liked the sound of Kenmare from various posts. Again Cashel for Rock of Cashel and to get us back a bit closer to our next days location for wedding. We don't mind a bit of driving, seeing the sights along the way. Made the mistake of expecting distance to be travelled quicker than reality. Do really like the sound of Ring of Beara and with the really long days ( something we don't have here, longest days still finish by 9) thought it might be doable.

Your thoughts?