We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

We already have a Tom Tom gps, and I am thinking about downloading the UK/Ireland map for about $60.

I've seen some threads where people say their gps works pretty well in Ireland, but what I want to know is, can you search by points of interest on the Tom Tom? (i.e. "Rock of Cashel" - would that come up?)

I've gotten used to Google Maps here in the states, where you can just search whatever you want, such as a restaurant, point of interest, etc., and the map will take you there. I also like how you can plan out an itinerary ahead of time online and then pull it up on your phone/ipad/device (this can't be done with TomTom). But I'm not confident of having enough cell signal (with a SIM) to use Google Maps all around Ireland. So, I'm debating bringing the tom tom.

I do have an OSI map as well but in looking at it, it doesn't have the level of detail that would make me comfortable.

I know I know, part of the fun is getting lost and asking for directions... but I am the type who might find it stressful nonetheless.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

Sat nav is a comfort blanket. Get a decent map for back up and familiarise yourself with lowering the windows to ask directions,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoNNi6NuKbU

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

Ah Tony I had a feeling you would say that! Agree it's a comfort blanket. But my husband will be doing most of the driving, so as chief navigator I like the idea of having a machine tell us where to go, which lane to be in, how much farther to the turn, rather than have my head buried in a map (which also makes me carsick).

I promise you that we WILL ask for directions at least once per day :)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

Most Irish roads are well signed these days so even a map becomes an assistant rather than an instruction book. the places you do need a map might just be the places where a sat nav is worse than useless anyway. Just getting between the towns on a main road is nothing to worry about . If you do rely on a satnav system then be sure to have a map as backup because I can guarantee if you rely solely on some software program you will get tripped up somewhere.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

I use a Garmin Nuvi loaded with maps of Europe. I'm bringing it with me to Ireland next month and fully expect it to give me the same message it gives me in northern Scotland: A blank screen and the words "Driving on Road".

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

LOL paulkris. I think I get it! Might be useful as a crutch, sometimes, but not to completely rely on. We do have our heads for that.

But back to the original part of my question. When in Ireland, can the Tom Tom search a destination by its' name rather than address?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

Depends on the map's/program, you are using, Mine used to search by Name (when it recognised them) or co-ordinates (same as Google maps) but spent so much time telling me to turn round and go back where I had come from that it was donated to the school for the bring and buy sale.

7. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 April 2013, 17:51
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

There is something wonderfully reassuring about hearing the Sat Nav say, "At the Roundabout, take the 2nd Exit" ...

On the OTHER hand -- if the mapping software is even SLIGHTLY out of date (and in MOST cases, there is often a SIX MONTH 'lag' between collection of data and release of the maps) -- what WAS the 2nd exit may NOW be the 3rd!

Before I gave up on relying on GPS, I can't tell you how many times mine tried to get me to turn into lovely NEW housing estates and Shopping Parks ...

Bob

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

Take care in Galway because some of those roundabouts are now traffic light junctions

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tom Tom in Ireland... how good is it?

Bob: It's like the Dark vs. Milk Chocolate debate...nobody is either right or wrong. Personally, I too never use them and find them annoying. I am much more map oriented. Also remember some of the best times we have enjoyed in Ireland were during short periods of being "lost." I think the "foreign" land and other side driving just add to the feelings of insecurity, and I'm certain that any opinions like our's are just ignored by those who are addicted to GPS. While I do not use them, if they help you (the driver in front of me) be a smoother driver then by all means please get a GPS.

Anyone trying to get to my house using a GPS system will certainly be misdirected.

…howstuffworks.com/gadgets/automotive/gps-sy…

Love the fact that the last bit of advice for using a GPS is "bring a good map." :-D

Edited: 28 April 2013, 18:09