We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

speaking Irish

Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
speaking Irish

To prepare for our trip to Ireland, I am studying the Irish language.

Will there be an opportunity to speak it?

Is it considered polite and friendly to do so?

My husband says no need, as everyone speaks English.

1. Re: speaking Irish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 03:38
Edited: 30 April 2013, 03:38
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: speaking Irish

There is no need to learn Irish to be polite. Your husband is correct in that all Irish people speak English. In fact few speak Irish with any fluency. There are some isolated areas (Dingle peninsula, parts of Connemara and Donegal particularly) where Irish is still the community language

When you say you are learning Irish, do you mean some standard phrases or taking language classes?

3. Re: speaking Irish

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 04:39
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: speaking Irish

@tamiller

What do you mean by "slang terms"? Are you referring to the way Irish people use English? The OP is talking about Irish which is a wholly separate language

5. Re: speaking Irish

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 04:33
Edited: 30 April 2013, 04:33
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: speaking Irish

@tamiller

No offence taken. FYI poxy in the Irish context means awful. "That tastes poxy"... "Poxy rain!"

Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: speaking Irish

Thanks for your thoughts!

Studying Irish online....

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,641 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: speaking Irish

If you watch television while here, RTE will have the "Nuacht" which is news bulletins through Irish. They are on both the radio and on the telly.

I find - as someone who was fluent in Irish at one stage but not any more - that the different dialects (cainiúint ) are difficult at times. Donegal Irish can be very different both in terms and sounds to Munster Irish and even within Munster, what we speak here in Limerick could sound very different to what you'd find spoken in Dingle.

But if you're in a pub and you get into conversation with some locals, why not ask them if you could practice with them. You might find that your Irish is better than theirs :o))

Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: speaking Irish

Great idea, Bean!

Would Irish be spoken around Connemara/Galway and the Aran Islands?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,641 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: speaking Irish

Caspian, I haven't been on the Aran Islands.

However it is spoken in areas like Spiddal, however my experience is that the locals use it like a cliquey type language. We went into a shop, one of the last times we were in the area and people were speaking Irish. They totally ignored me, continued on speaking - I'm not sure if they realised I understood every word they were saying and would have been able to engage in the conversation!! - then they brusquely served me and continued on talking in Irish.

Now I'm sure / hope that was an exception. But I wasn't mightily impressed!!