We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

5 of us will be in Dublin on 3rd June & plan to drive south on 5th.

is below route workable :

Day 1& 2-Dublin

Day 3 - Dublin to Cork (by train/bus?? which bus)

or perhaps drive from Dublin over-night at Kilkenny then continue to Kinsale/Cork.

Day : 4 Cork to Kenmare

Day 5 -6: Kenmare to Doolin, stay 2 nights or should we stay at Limerick then proceed to Doolin, Burren?

Take in Cliff of moher, Burren

Day 7: proceed to Galway overnight and return to Dublin.

Is this workable? We don't want to rush just take in the scenery, some shopping. Any suggestions on what to see/do at any of above place is most welcome!!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

I would drive from Dublin to Cork. By motorway, without stops, it's almost as quick as the train. Along the way, though, are interesting stops in Cashel and Cahir. Kilkenny is a terrific little city, with lots to do, in and around it, but my advice would be to skip it on this short a trip.

For me, Ennis would be a better choice to overnight, as opposed to Limerick or Doolin. I would be tempted to take 1 night from there, and add a second night to Galway. I would add a stop at Clonmacnoise into the Galway-to-Dublin drive.

Bob

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

Whoa--way too ambitious and too much geographic spread for a week (having done each of those place multiple times over many years). Slow down, build some nice memories and take in what you see and do. Allow space for interaction and pleasant surprises. You've got many fine ideas otherwise. I

I'd follow Dublin with early drive staying in Laragh B&B for Glendalow (Wicklow National Park area and sites within those towns' easy range, stopping in Powerscourt for the Gardens and a lunch right there along the way. (Note: Use Trip Advisor's rated restaurants, sites and B&B's/Hotels by entering all stops towns for each category. It's easy and very helpful. Also get Ireland books by Rick Steves, Fodor and Planet Earth from the library or buy one copy of each shared as a group. They're tremendous resources. See You Tube videos on all towns and their major area sights.

Next do Kilkenny and Kinsale one day each, but skip Cork and Cobh as too much rushing. B&B's are my first choice over hotels by far, much cheaper and vastly more fun. Next, I'd drive to Kenmare for Killarney National Park or better yet Kells, Kerry on the Atlantic coast staying for three nights at Taobh Coille Farm B&B on the Sea to do Ring of Kerry to the south and KNP (but skip touristy Killarney itself) and or a separated B&B Dingle Peninsula loop just north. Use Rick Steves km by km car tour chapters for each of those.

I'd then move up to Doolin taking the ferry route to save time for the Cliffs and great local towns. (See much helpful literature online as well as books for any area.)

Now you'll notice I cut out Galway as too far, but also gave you a impossible extra night. How? And this is a personal choice. Consider Dublin reduction by a full day. I'd take the Off On tour bus (read about it) to get an overview of Dublin and stop at two or three choices wherever you pick. Possibilities include the Gaol, Book of Kells, Brewery, etc ad inf. You can always return to do more another time.

One final thought: for my Dublin day, I'd stay in Glasnevin, Dublin outskirts (halfway between Airport and Dublin Center at Egan's Guesthouse, leaving my car there for an easy bus into and back to Dublin Center in 20 minutes each way, or pick up my car early morning from Dublin on the second day heading early to Powerscout followed by pm Glendalough sites. Don't bother to take a car into Dublin downtown. ENJOY!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

Thanks your reminder to take it easy, guess we lost our head for a moment there.

Will just take the lazy way out,. After Kenmare we'll stay at Limerick for 3 nights taking in The Burren, Cliffs Moher,etc., this should give us an easy drive back to Dublin. By the way is Bunratty worth visiting?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

Understood as only talking personal preferences here, I don't see Limerick as a potentially most desirable option for the delights along and near the west coast once you get above the Ring for which Kenmare works. Don't forget looking into the books,YouTube and online as I suggested to get a sense of that area's magic: Dingle Penisula, north far as Doolin area and the multiple options within half an hour to 45 minutes or so of that town.

For me both Bunratty and its faux village and Blarney castles-like Killarney- are a distraction, a commercial condensed whiff of what I'm instead trying to point you toward as so many more genuine west of Ireland experiences.

Shifting gears, I'd see the castle in Kilkenny instead while there. (Doing the research as suggested with what I'm trying to generally map for you in these two notes will help. There are many charming picturesque villages and excellent sites and sights in that three to four night area above the Ring of Kerry.

It's not at all lazy to modify a whirlwind schedule as you're now thinking. If anything , it'll hopefully prove stimulating rather than exhausting as was more so the potential before.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

@ FranMal

Yes, your original itinerary is far too busy, but if you're now planning on a day or two in Dublin, combined with time in Kenmare and west Coast, that will be more achievable.

Kenmare is a pretty, small town which is easy to wander around, and is a good base from which to explore Beara Peninsula or Ring of Kerry. You need a Full Day to explore each Peninsula:

http://www.bearatourism.com/visitorinfo.html

Ring of Kerry is well-known, busier than Beara:

ringofkerrytourism.com/ring-of-kerry-attract…

heritageireland.ie/en/…

www.stonepages.com/ireland/staigue.html

http://www.kissanesheepfarm.com/

If you intend to spend a day or two exploring the Burren, I think Ennis - or even moreso, a village in the Burren would be a better base than Limerick, which is well over 1hr from this area (saves alot of back-tracking). It would take around 3.5hrs to drive from Burren region (Ballyvaughan) back to Dublin airport/city.

However, if you want to spend a day in Limerick, plus a day exploring the Burren, then yes, Limerick will be a good location from which to do so, then drive up to Dublin.

There's lots to see in the Burren and you need minimum 1 full day just to see a few highlights and the Cliffs of Moher:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

The Burren is a fabulous place for walking/hiking and you may wish to think about taking a guided walk or you can follow one of the well-marked trails:

http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/

http://homepage.eircom.net/~burrenhillwalks/

http://heartofburrenwalks.com/

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park

I really like this attraction: lots of interesting buildings to explore, a pretty walled garden and the Castle itself. It's worth a 2-3hr stop to see all.

You can plot your routes on here, but add a further 20% to the quoted drive times to allow for driving on unfamiliar roads and potential delays:

http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/

:-)

Doolin, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

Dear FranMal

Enjoy the holiday you have gotten a lot of great advise above, would have to agree with using TripAdvisor Reviews as a good judge of what to expect, if you need to compare places just look at the large section. E.g. Ennis v Doolin you would click on County Clare.

Doolin, Ennis, Limerick vary greatly in experiences. Limerick is a 3 largest city in Ireland and great for shopping, Ennis is a large market town 20 minutes from Limerick and is about 40 minutes from the Cliffs of Moher and Doolin is a small coastal Village at the foot of the Cliffs of Moher in the Burren and you can day trip to the Aran Islands plus walk to all the pubs and restaurants as it is a small village.

Regarding accommodation Doolin would have the greatest variety of accommodation types from Camping, Hostel, B&B, to Hotels but are all independent family run businesses.

Enjoy the Holiday

Anthony

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

Agreed lot's of great advice.

Have finalized the routes :Dublin-Kilkenny (1 nite)-Kinsale(2 nites)-Kenmare (1 nite)-Doolin (3 nites)-Dublin , now to research what to see at each places.

Wow, lot's of hours to spend in front of a computer.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

Don't forget the library for ordering those three books. They're excellent, especially the Rick Steves Ireland for chapters kilometer by kilometer on the Ring of Kerry ,the Dingle Peninsula, as well as Killarney National Park and town by town ventures. ALSO use YouTube.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,704 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

Nice to know St Rick of Steves continues to cajole his disciples into his way of thinking (and advising)...For an Open minded view of Ireland Try a "Decent", "Unbiased" and "Accurate" guide book. There are several out there, Rick Steves does not fall into that category.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
788 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Ladies 1st time in Ireland, Please Help!!

Hi FranMal,

My first trip to Ireland was last month. I wrore a report that bhas been posted in Tripadvisor, perhaps you would like to take a look at (see link below) . I will be glad to help in any matters you want,

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k64458…

I enjoyed my trip, I hope you enjoy yours.