We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Perfect Western Ireland 11-Night Plan Starts Next Week

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Our Perfect Western Ireland 11-Night Plan Starts Next Week

Writing this first to thank all of the DE's and all who commented and helped with suggestions for our plan. Trip Report coming in a few weeks when we return, maybe some commentary from the road.

We are independent travelers coming back for visit #4 and focusing on western Ireland.

Bringing my wife's sister and her husband for their first visit. We are all 60's and active outdoors and healthy so far.

Planning:

#1 - Planned where in Ireland to visit

#2 - After we knew where, we could book flights. In this case in and out of Shannon

#3 - Use hubs: Galway 4 Nights; Adare 2 Nights; Killarney 4 Niights, Shannon 1 Night

#4 - Contacted/Direct Booked 2 Self-Catered apartment rentals in Galway and Killarney, and

2 nights at Adare Manor, all booked online.

#5 - AVIS Car Rental on their website (as we always do, Super CDW, Automatic this time). We read maps.

#6 - Planned Daily Activities with rule that no point A to point B can be more than 90-120 minutes with a maximum number of hours inside a vehicle being 4-5 hours in a day. Still, our agenda allows us to travel north to Achill Island, Connemara, Ashford, Kylemore, Sky Road, Play time in Galway, the Cliffs, Dunguaire, Loop Head, Adare, Dingle, Connor Pass, Killarney The Rings, Skellig Islands, Mizen Head, Cahir, Cashel...and Couple of Rest Days Interspersed.

Just added the total costs and tried to find comparable packaged tours (which we will not do -- just not our cup of tea--no buses and guides is what we prefer.) Well, the closest we come makes our independent plan about 50% the cost of a packaged tour using agents instead of going direct on all accounts. SOLD!

See you next weekend.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
286 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Our Perfect Western Ireland 11-Night Plan Starts Next Week

Thanks for the tips Sarnia. Not sure what time of day we'll arrive at the Cliffs. We are arriving early morning in Shannon, getting a car and dropping our bags at our B&B in Ennis before setting out for a scenic drive towards Corrofin, Kilfenora, Lisdoonvarna and then finally The Cliffs.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Our Perfect Western Ireland 11-Night Plan Starts Next Week

As an expert to a first-time planner, do you think it's worth spending time in Dublin? Are we better off going to Shannon to Shannon for flights and just concentrating on 7-8 nights on the west side?

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Our Perfect Western Ireland 11-Night Plan Starts Next Week

I know you asked the question of an "expert," but since this is my thread I'll throw in an opinion or two.

Dublin is a great city to visit and there are eastern parts of Ireland that are spectacular. We have already been around the east, but not yet the northern counter-clockwise loop which we will save for next trip. We just prefer the western areas better. Both are worth seeing. However, given that you only have 7-8 days, you should pick an area and focus your attention there instead of trying to tick off a list of everything to see and do in Ireland in a week. I see lots of itineraries posted with landings in Dublin and most activity in the west. That means a great deal of deadheaded driving. That's a Chicago taxi driver term for mindless driving a long distance just to get to point B. Short answer, if you are flying into Dublin then spend most of your time in the east, and so forth. Step 1 is to decide what you want to see and do and then step 2 is booking the flights.

Enjoy!

Eddie

An Original Chi-Town Boy

Canada
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Our Perfect Western Ireland 11-Night Plan Starts Next Week

Book Smithwicks online- was there last Sept and no tickets left (only take about 14 people 4 or 5 times a day)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
286 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Our Perfect Western Ireland 11-Night Plan Starts Next Week

Thanks for the info on Smithwick's. I'll book ahead.

Sorry to hijack the thread Eddie. I know I've gotten it a little off topic. Please know the tips given have been most helpful and most appreciated! Have a great trip! :)

16. Re: Our Perfect Western Ireland 11-Night Plan Starts Next Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:16