We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers Ireland

Boston, ma
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
First Timers Ireland

We have been researching Ireland for our upcoming first trip in October. When we started planning we imagined ourselves staying in small quaint villages and enjoying the locals and maybe doing some family tracing but our twenty something kids are coming now on their first trip to Europe so we changed to larger towns with a little night life and mostly hotels but we did throw in at least one Bed and Beakfasts along the way. We are staying two nights each in Dublin( Flying in here), Cork City( ancester's home), Kilarney, and Galway Bay and last night in Bunratty since its near the airport in Shannon and last night shopping is available there. We will rent a car leaving Dublin and hope to include St. Patricks Cathedral, Guinness Tour, Rock of Cashel, Cobh, Gap of Dunlough along with a piece of Ring of Kerry.( Hope folks on these forums can point us to the most beautiful part of the ring), also hope to see Cliffs of Moher, Dingle, and maybe a short trip to Connemeara. Also as many Pubs as we can manage along the way , while eating every chance we get. Please suggest anything we are really going to miss as we are open to substitute. Thanx in advance for your feedback..

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers Ireland

Consider Ennis for the last Night far more options for accommodation, drinking, eating and Shopping than Bunratty and only an extra 15 minutes distant (30 instead of 15 minutes)

Canada
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers Ireland

It is difficult to do part of the ring without backtracking. Consider Beara where you can cut across the Healey pass if time is an issue.

The only shopping in Bunratty that I saw was an overpriced "woolen mill/souvenir shop" that has items found all over Ireland.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers Ireland

Hi Boston weekender,

You certainly have plans for most of the main attractions in Ireland. I agree with the comments above regarding a night in Bunratty, unless you plan to attend the Medieval banquet there, perhaps Ennis or Limerick would be better options to spend the night before flying back,

My trip last month covered many of the same places you mention. I wrote a report about it, and perhaps you would like to read it. See link below.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k64458…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,156 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers Ireland

I agree with Mathlady--skip the Ring of Kerry in favor of the Ring of Beara. Not only is the Ring of Beara smaller, but it's also much more scenic. We easily did the Ring of Beara with lots of stops in a day trip from Kenmare.

5. Re: First Timers Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 06:17