We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

Tunis, Tunisia
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

Hello all! I will be traveling with my husband, 21 yr old son and girlfriend, and our 9 yr old (5 total). I need some advice. This is what I have scheduled:

Day 1-2 Arrive Dublin - stay 2 nights

Day 3 Galway-1 night (want to explore the city/possibly see Connaght)

Day 4-6 Killarney- 3 nights-(On the way there stop at Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, and such) While in Killarney-ROK, Dingle, National Park

Day 7 Shannon - 1 night (stop in Limerick on way)

Day 8 Drop older kids off at Shannon airport (9 am flight) and drive back to Dublin for a 7 pm flight.

Now that I have booked all the lodging (I can cancel) it feels so busy. Is that a lot of driving? I'm thinking of eliminating Galway--just Dublin (2 nights) to Killarney (3 nights) -then Ennis (2 nights). Ennis looks close enough to COM and The Burren. That would be one less hotel.

What do you think? Thank you!!

Edited: 04 May 2013, 23:03
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

Consider splitting the time between Galway and Killarney, as in add a day at least to Galway and use each as a hub to see the local sites.

Tunis, Tunisia
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

Thank you--that makes sense and will let us relax a little.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

FYI - We are headed back at the and of the coming week for #4, arrive Shannon, 4 nights Galway, 2 nights Adare and 4 nights Killarney, with excursion each day around and from and between each "hub." It's those 1 and 2 nighters back-to-back that kick you and make you feel like you need a rest after returning from your vacation.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

Just another opinion: If it were us, it would be 1 night Dublin, 2 nights Galway, 3 nights Killarney and then I night Shannon and then back to Dublin.

Edited: 04 May 2013, 23:56
Tunis, Tunisia
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help

We are going to take a day tour out of Dublin to Giant's Causeway and won't return to Dublin until about 8 pm--otherwise we'd only stay in Dublin one night. Thanks so much for your help!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,971 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help

Why not arrive Dublin and get straight on the bus to Belfast. Take a black cab tour see the Titanic Exhibition and do a Causeway/Derry tour from up there? Then have a day/night in Dublin before catching the train to Killarney (or Kerry Airport to pick up a Hire car) 2 nights in Killarney. Drive round Dingle on the way up to Ennis which as you suspect is a great base for Clare including 1/2 mile of coastal cliffs. I love Connemara but on this trip you don't have time.

7. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 05:18