We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get through Irish immigration?

Claremont...
1 post
Save Topic
How to get through Irish immigration?

Hi,

I am a college student from America, and a U.S. Citizen. I know that I don't require a visa to travel to Ireland for up to 3 months. I need to stay in Ireland (Dublin) for 2 months this summer because I have an internship.

I spoke to the girl who had my same internship last year, and she told me to avoid telling immigration that I have an internship at all and to just tell them that I am visiting friends or family, because when she tried to explain her internship, they didn't understand that it was unpaid and were asking her to apply for a work permit.

I can provide a bank statement with enough money to show I can support myself, evidence of a return ticket, the address of where I plan to stay, and an official letter stating my internship offer and the dates of the internship. The only confusing element is that while the internship is unpaid, an organization affiliated with my college is giving me a 4,000 dollar stipend.

What should I do? Should I try to explain my situation (that I have an internship for 6 weeks and then plan to do touristy things for 2 weeks) or should I just claim to be vacationing for 8 weeks?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Aquaventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
My Ireland Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get through Irish immigration?

This is a travel forum so people here are not immigration experts, it would be better to check the Irish government immigration websites

However my understanding is that you cannot work here, paid or unpaid. An internship is still working which you are not permitted to do. I suggest you don't mention the internship on arrival and say you are travelling. You might need to show evidence of funds to support yourself and a flight ticket back to the USA is essential

There was a huge fuss a year or 2 ago when a couple of US students arrived over with no return flight and little funds and were deported from Ireland

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,027 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get through Irish immigration?

You are asking for advice on how to break the law.

I don't think it is appropriate. Just as Irish students asking for information to circumvent US regulations would be inappropriate.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get through Irish immigration?

Hello Anisha and welcome Trip Advisor.

I don't think you are seeking advice on how to break the law. Transatlantic Internships happen on a regular basis - so it shouldnt be too difficult to seek the correct way to navigate the system. One of my work colleagues had one of her daughters on a 3 month internship in the US last summer.

First up, the Organisation you are spending time with SHOULD be able to provide all relevant information to any interns coming on placement regarding all aspects of their stay. The mere fact that there was someone last year too, carries a bad reflection on the Organisation if they don't assist in providing the relevant information to placements. Perhaps contacting them might throw some light on the matter for you. I'm sure that there must be a procedure in place, otherwise it is the Organisation that is breaking the Law, not the intern.

Other alternative is to contact our Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation and see what they say. Here's a link to some information www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/index.htm

Hope you enjoy both your placement and Ireland :-)

Edited: 05 May 2013, 11:16
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get through Irish immigration?

Internships in this country were the brainchild of the Minister for Social Protection - Joan Burton. It is interesting because prior to the last elenction she had a US intern with her on the election campaign trail, so perhaps she got the idea for Job-bridge from that of her own intern experience. It should be said however that internships are the subject of a huge employment scam in this country of companies only interested in obtaining unpaid workers with little or no prospect of a job at the end of the intern period. I am not a fan of it personally where legitimate interns are also on Jobseeker benefit and registered with FAS. Obviously if they are handing out interns to foreign students this is undermining the system.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 12:37
5. Re: How to get through Irish immigration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 05:17