We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Scenic Route from Letterfrack to Kenmare

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Most Scenic Route from Letterfrack to Kenmare

First let me say that time isn't an issue. We'll be staying in Kenmare and have all day to get there.

I see at least three and maybe four ways to get from Letterfrack to Kenmare.

We could use the M18 to get to Limerick and then south on the N21.

Or we could take the N20 from Limerick south to the N72.

Or the N52 east from Galway and go through Portumna and south skirting Limerick city to the east.

Another option seems to be the ferry from Killmer to Tarbert.

We're looking for the most photographically interesting route and don't mind going slowly.

As always, thanks for any suggestions.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Scenic Route from Letterfrack to Kenmare

I would go with your first option. (My least fav option is the ferry - there is little advantage to taking the ferry unless you are a resident living near the area.

Florida
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Scenic Route from Letterfrack to Kenmare

Why option #1 over option #2? I am contemplating the same routes, from Shannon. Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Scenic Route from Letterfrack to Kenmare

The Direct route straight down you could call into Coole Park north of Gort, Keeping with the Yeats theme Thore Ballylee is off to the left a little further north closed due to floods a few years back might be worth a look as (definitely) is Kilmackduagh www.irelandtravelkit.com/… Listowel always get my vote for a stop off as one of Ireland's best Heritage Towns.

Lough Derg is worth a look heading down from Portumna. Castle (manor) Workhouse and Forest park past our turn off before Mountshannon, which is Twitchers paradise at the moment with the White tailed eagles back in residence just above Holy Island, Then Killaloe/Ballina and over via Sixmilebridge

The Ferry route is worthwhile if you are going to explore some of South West Clare down by the Loop Head peninsula good (Cliffs of Moher alternative) for the lighthouse and Bridges of Ross or Dolphin watching from Kilkee or Carigaholt.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Scenic Route from Letterfrack to Kenmare

Thanks Tony. I've added Listowel onto the route and I appreciate the irelandtravelkit recommendation.

5. Re: Most Scenic Route from Letterfrack to Kenmare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 06:17