We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planes, trains, and automobiles

Waterloo Iowa
10 posts
Save Topic
Planes, trains, and automobiles

Hey everyone I have a few questions.

I'll be going to Ireland in January for my 6th year wedding anniversary.

I'm flying into Dublin. My hotel is in Bodyke. Is it possible to take a taxi to Connolly station, and then train anywhere close to Bodyke? Then rental car to Bodyke? Or would it just be easier to rent a car?

I'll be in Bodyke 6 days, Cork 2 days and fly out of Dublin. Any suggestions on the MUST do things when in Bodyke? And any suggestions on what unique hotels to stay at in Cork? Plus must do things there.

I'll have 850 Euro. Will that be enough for food, touristy stuff, gas... How much is gas prices?

I know that you drive on the left side of the road.. Is the steering wheel on the left or right side of the car?

I want to go whale watching. Will there be any boats open in January? What other touristy places close in the winter?

Time for a stupid question.. I read somewhere that you only have coke products.. Is there any place I can get pepsi products? Need to have my mountain dew fix lol

Last question... I want to be able to stay connected. Can I use a power strip that lets you plug in laptops and cell phone chargers if I have a converter? Or will that just over load everything? Other than a converter is there anything else that I would need to make it work?

Ireland
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planes, trains, and automobiles

I'l have a go at answering some of your questions!

Petrol (gas) currently costs about €1.57 a litre. Yes, we drive on th eleft, and the steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car, so the driver is always closest to the centre of the road. Accelerator, brake and clutch pedals are in the same position as American cars.

Can't help on Bodyke or Cork really, not my part of the country (I don't even know where Bodyke is!)

Pepsi cola/Pepsi Max are widely available. I've never seen Mountain Dew in an Irish shop, certainly not in the main grocery/convenience stores. Sprite and 7Up are widely available.

Ireland
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planes, trains, and automobiles

Ok, I just googled Bodyke, and it is in Co Clare. It's not far from Shannon Airport, if that is an option for you to fly into instead of Dublin? The nearest train station would be Ennis I think. Trains to Ennis depart from Dublin Heuston, NOT Connolly, check out www.irishrail.ie. I honestly think that you're better off hiring a car, as it will give you a lot more freedom.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planes, trains, and automobiles

Bodyke is close to Ennis Co, Clare

go via Galway city or Limerick city first

you can take buses from Dublin airport

for transport options from Dublin airport

see.....DUBLINAIRPORT.COM / BY BUS OR COACH

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planes, trains, and automobiles

Bodyke is of the road from Ennis past Tulla to Scarriff on Lough Derg, about 40 minutes over the forestry from our cottage.

Take it its the East Clare Golf Club in Bodyke.. You would have been better flying to Shannon only 30 minutes away rather than 2 1/2 hours from Dublin. Shannon would be your closest car rental or maybe Limerick (less options)

So Hire a car at Dublin Airport ---Or Bus to Galway and down to Shannon from the airport to hire a car there,----Or train to Limerick and a car from there or SNN. First option would be the most sensible.

€850 or about €100 per day can be a budget but you will probably be doing a decent amount of driving.

You will find that Right hand drive cars have the steering wheel in front of the Driver who sits on the right hand side of the car with the foot peddles set out in the same way as other left hand drive cars.

Whale watching in January? try contacting http://www.whalewatchwestcork.com/.

Pepsi available from all Tesco stores and probably many others. we even have Mc Donalds!

Electricity is 240v so a converter is needed for any product which is Not Duel voltage and avoid bringing Hair driers/irons as they tend to fry due to our lower Hz (bit technical but not a good idea)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planes, trains, and automobiles

See Also

tripadvisor.ie/…48646707

6. Re: Planes, trains, and automobiles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 05:17