We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

We're very open to whatever you can help us with our upcoming September 2013 trip. We are an easy-going 50-something Canadian couple, average active, and don't wish for the green blur tour. We enjoy the thoughts of taking everything as it comes with enjoyment; local people, music, history, pubs, scenery, etc. at a relaxed pace. No military time-precision here.

It's clear there are so many beautiful places to visit and one can only do so many. We would much rather enjoy quality over quantity. We are aware ourselves of living with crazy weather conditions (rain, gale force winds, snow, sleet, warm sunshine in one day), so any weather is what it is.

We tend to become happily distracted easily with something beautiful in our site line, but days bring what they may. We are, however, timely with commitments for accommodations booked and tour times.

It looks as though we may be a little Cork City heavy with our with 3 nights on days 10-12 of our rough itinerary posted below. We'd both give our right arm to spend a lifetime there, but we also wish to not compromise the valuable time in Ireland. We are also aware that driving here and driving there are 2 different things and anticipate delays.

The days I've starred (*) in our rather novice itinerary below are musts for us.

Flights are booked now. Dublin in - Dublin out was the best for schedule, price and availability with our airline carrier.

We're renting a car from Dublin (currently tackling those choices) and initially planned to return the vehicle after our stay in Limerick City and taking public transport from there, but this could be extended if it means missing out on visiting beautiful, scenic places post Limerick City being tied to timetables.

We have 100% free rooms at a well-known decent hotel group, which explains all of the hotel accommodations noted. Although we'd love to stay in B & B's the entire time, this has made it so much easier to visit Ireland, there is no doubt there. We've managed to book a couple of B & B's to break up the hotel stays and have no problem adding one or more B & B nights somewhere.

PS: There are so many TA regulars I follow, such as Bryno, Clauds, Bean, Tony2Phones (sorry about Dingle, my friend but it has to be and I know you understand), HarveyIreland, soonas, Fuschiagirl, and Oma...I'm probably missing someone!

Any help is so appreciated. We're very open to suggestions.

Rough Itinerary

Day 1 (T): Arrive Dublin in a.m.---> Bus to Belfast ---> Spend weekend with our Cdn. connection friends*

Day 2 (F) Belfast (Hotel) --> Friends*

Day 3: (S) Belfast (Hotel)--> Friends*

Day 4: (S) Dublin (Hotel) --> Arrive later in day>Wander Dublin City*

Day 5: (M) Dublin (Hotel) --> National Library> National Archives> Records*

Day 6: (T) Dublin (Hotel) --> Explore Dublin*

Day 7: (W) Pick up rental car to head south toward Mitchelstown destination (B & B)*

Day 8: (T) Mitchelstown area (B & B) --> Family history*

Day 9: (F) Mitchelstown area (B & B) --> " " >Day trip?*

Day 10 (S): Cork City (Hotel) --> Explore City > Cork City Library*>Market

Day 11: (S) Cork City (Hotel) --> Day trips?

Day 12: (M) Cork City (Hotel) -->

Day 13: (T) Dingle (B & B) --> Sleahead*

Day 14: (W) Dingle (B & B) --> Killarney day trip?

Day 15: (T) Limerick City (Hotel) --> DH visit to Company's Ireland Head Office*

Day 16: (F) Galway (Hotel) -->

Day 17: (S) Galway (Hotel) -->

Day 18: (S) Dublin (Hotel) --> Last evening in Ireland

Day 19: (M) Fly Home --> :(

Edited: 08 May 2013, 19:46
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

Thanks for folllowing me travedia -that is nice for me to hear. I have pasted your itinerary below and my responses are there prefixed by @@@@

Day 1 (T): Arrive Dublin in a.m.---> Bus to Belfast ---> Spend weekend with our Cdn. connection friends*

@@@@ I don't know a lot about Belfast suffice to say that you will have a very nice visit there & it will be nice to share it with friends. It is on my ToDo list.

@@@@ I love any opportunity to visit Dublin. A fine city with a great atmosphere & loads to see. You will see lots in 2.5 days there. On day one there, it will be a waste of money to get the HOHO, however you should consider taking it on day 2 when you can take advantage of it for the full day.

Day 7: (W) Pick up rental car to head south toward Mitchelstown destination (B & B)*

@@@@ I'm not sure how to say this without insulting my Mitchelstown 'neighbours', but M.town is not a tourist stop of any significance and you could find yourself going a little stir crazy in this small north Cork town. Of course, maybe the accommodation you have chosen will make up for what is a working town. You mention Family History on Day 8. Fine. You then mention a 'Day trip' on Day 9. Have you any ideas as what you might like to do? Do you not think you would be better off driving to Cork on this day, thus giving you an extra day at some more scenic spot later on? Just a thought. BTW Mitchelstown cave is about the only attraction that I am aware of in the area, and even this is about 6 miles from the town!! Maybe you would tweak Mitchelstown?

@@@@ Day 10 - fine. Loads to see in Cork city. (If you need specific itinerary for the City, let me know)

Day 11. There are a number of options. Blarney, Midleton, Cobh or Kinsale. What would you like to do?

You don't mention anything on Day 12, but you can do on this day what you didn't do on Day 11.

@@@@ I have a problem with this. Day 13 is fine, but then overnighting in Dingle to visit Killarney (90 mins away). Not sure if you should include Killarney this time. Killarney deserves at least 2 days/nights minimum to do the area justice. It would make more sense to stay in Killarney for two nights and day trip to Dingle for one of those. Just a thought.

Day 15: (T) Limerick City (Hotel) --> DH visit to Company's Ireland Head Office*

@@@@ Doable and BeanA +others will help you with an itinerary for Limerick if you want that.

@@@@ Love Galway. There are a number of beautiful loop drives out to Connemara that you can do on day two. The loop you choose will depend on how much time you have to complete it. Make a full day of it. Connemara is stunning.

@@@@ Last evening - a good meal and a few pints to celebrate will hit the spot. Tons of options for this. Early to bed though, don't want to miss that flight !

Day 19: (M) Fly Home --> :( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-((

Come back when you have had a think about tweaking - if applicable. By the way, if you spent one day less in Mitchelstown, you could use that day in Killarney.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

Mitchelstown is certainly not tourist central, but you are close to Mitchelstown caves, Doneraile Park, Ballyhoura or the Glen of Aherlow, Bridgetown abbey and Annesgrove gardens. Plenty to fill a day.

heritageireland.ie/en/…

http://homepage.eircom.net/~neillod/forestpark.html

http://visitballyhoura.com/

http://aherlow.com/

corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/…Bridgetown.htm

http://www.annesgrovegardens.com/walks.html

Cahir Castle and the Swiss cottage are also close at hand , but you could visit those on the way from Dublin. The Firgrove hotel -at the roundabout as you turn into Mitchelstown and Clongibbon House in the town square do reasonable bar food.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

Day 14 as Bryno, no surprise there but Killarney gives lots more options. Depends on what time is plotted for Day 15 but I guess the sensible round Dingle between Killarney and Limerick would be a non starter.

Galway for a couple of days you could do a loop of Connemara and call into Clifden if dates fit Arts week?

Last night stay at an airport hotel having dropped the car and used hotel shuttles, bus into the city and back if you must but as you say early start in the morning.

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

Thanks, Bryno. Tweaking is in the works thanks to your fine advice.

My replies will be addressed as ###.

@@@@ I don't know a lot about Belfast suffice to say that you will have a very nice visit there & it will be nice to share it with friends. It is on my ToDo list.

### We are in pretty great hands and are anxious to visit and see the wonderful sights of the Northern Coast.

@@@@ I love any opportunity to visit Dublin. A fine city with a great atmosphere & loads to see. You will see lots in 2.5 days there. On day one there, it will be a waste of money to get the HOHO, however you should consider taking it on day 2 when you can take advantage of it for the full day.

### Thank you for the advice. On Day 1 here, we oldsters may be catching up with a sweet nap, then raring to go Monday morning! The HoHo is definitely on our list. It's such a wonderful way to do the loop and figure out which places are appealing within the short stay.

@@@@ I'm not sure how to say this without insulting my Mitchelstown 'neighbours', but M.town is not a tourist stop of any significance and you could find yourself going a little stir crazy in this small north Cork town. Of course, maybe the accommodation you have chosen will make up for what is a working town. You mention Family History on Day 8. Fine. You then mention a 'Day trip' on Day 9. Have you any ideas as what you might like to do? Do you not think you would be better off driving to Cork on this day, thus giving you an extra day at some more scenic spot later on? Just a thought. BTW Mitchelstown cave is about the only attraction that I am aware of in the area, and even this is about 6 miles from the town!! Maybe you would tweak Mitchelstown?

### Could our day trip on Day 9 backtrack to the Rock of Cashel for a bit? Is that do-able in once we get to M'Town or would it be better visiting on the way to Mitchelstown? We will have a car. If not, The B & B in Mitchelstown is a wonderful farm experience which has similar connections with our rural land here, and we are the type that can run with the pigs, explore the Ballyhoura area and the base of the Galtee Mountains on bike or foot having a picnic, hang out in a pub, or graveyards :) and just relax. In the past, we never seem to run out of everyday experiences to explore and sometimes just want to kick back.

@@@@ Day 10 - fine. Loads to see in Cork city. (If you need specific itinerary for the City, let me know)

### I would love that! I have saved TA's places to see in Cork City, but any off beaten path places and interesting history jaunts are always welcome.

Day 11. There are a number of options. Blarney, Midleton, Cobh or Kinsale. What would you like to do?

### Since this is a pleasure/family history visit, Cobh appeals in a big way with the famine immigrants to far-away lands. My husband is also up to snogging the Blarney Stone. Lol. Me...not so much. I have also heard Kinsale is a pretty place. The beautiful thing of Ireland is that there is never a shortage of wonderful things to see.

You don't mention anything on Day 12, but you can do on this day what you didn't do on Day 11.

@@@@ I have a problem with this. Day 13 is fine, but then overnighting in Dingle to visit Killarney (90 mins away). Not sure if you should include Killarney this time. Killarney deserves at least 2 days/nights minimum to do the area justice. It would make more sense to stay in Killarney for two nights and day trip to Dingle for one of those. Just a thought.

### We have a nice B & B booked in Dingle for 2 nights and just aren't sure where to fit in Killarney with the Cork City/Dingle jaunt. Muckross is on our 'A' list if possible.

@@@@ Doable and BeanA +others will help you with an itinerary for Limerick if you want that.

### Thanks! I knew there would be some help there. We are there for only a short time, and may click up with fellow Irishmen and my husband and they will talk about the differences between business and product lines between Eire and Canada. I can see it now. Lol.

@@@@ Love Galway. There are a number of beautiful loop drives out to Connemara that you can do on day two. The loop you choose will depend on how much time you have to complete it. Make a full day of it. Connemara is stunning.

### We would love to do Connemara and take a full day! Knowing we can do it in our Galway stay is so very helpful, Bryno.

@@@@ Last evening - a good meal and a few pints to celebrate will hit the spot. Tons of options for this. Early to bed though, don't want to miss that flight !

###

The hubby snores like a fiend. It may not be pretty!

I'll force feed him Guinness and throw a towel over his head to muffle his sounds.

Great advice!

Day 19: (M) Fly Home --> :( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-(( ;-((

Come back when you have had a think about tweaking - if applicable. By the way, if you spent one day less in Mitchelstown, you could use that day in Killarney.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

I'm happy to give a few suggestions for Belfast/north coast area but to be honest, if you're with friends and they're showing you around, I think that would just muddy the waters. So I think you're right to just relax and enjoy that section without worrying about planning or having a big "must see" list.....

But if you do have any questions about the northern bit, just let me know.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 22:11
County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
758 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

Hi, sounds like a great trip. Maybe leave Cork City early and stop in Killarney on way to dingle. Do peninsula on next day? Have a great trip!

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

I forgot to mention Bryno that Day 9 in Mitchelstown is our 33rd wedding anniversary and I can't believe we made it this far. And they said it wouldn't last. Lol. Wasn't 1980 just yesterday?

We hope to have a quiet and nice anniversary dinner in Mitchelstown on day 9 at the farm B & B.

It's going to be a stretch putting up with the old man. And he....likewise with the old lady.

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

Sherrigoleen posted "Maybe leave Cork City early and stop in Killarney on way to Dingle."

Do you think this is do-able?

I would love to see the gardens and Muckross House. I'm not sure if we can have Killarney into our plans from Cork City or whether to stay an extra day in Dingle and traipse back to Killarney.

9. Re: Rough 18 Day Plan needs Polishing - requesting help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 05:15