We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

I'll try and make some sense of this trip report I'm not good at these things....

On 4/30 we left Spokane on Alaska air lines at 6am and flew to Seattle for our plane to ORD, I was going on Alaska frequent flyer miles so had no choice of my route. Everything went well to ORG we had a 3 hour lay over which we spent in the admiral lounge so much more comfortable then sitting and waiting at the gate.

We were to go on AA to Dublin but had to wait an extra hour for some kind of plane maintenance, we boarded an hour late but arrived in Dublin just a few minutes late.

We had booked a rental car at Budget airport and had no problems there in fact they gave us a free upgrade to a jeep, later I found out what a mistake that was in taking a bigger car and I should have known better, a tiny Volkswagen would be the way to go. We did get a GPS which I would highly recommend even if we did get lost a lot.

We drove to Trim Castle hotel which I had booked for 2 nights by the time we got there I was to tired to go anywhere so we ate dinner in their restaurant and it was quite good.

The next day we drove to Newgrange and only had to wait 1/2 hour to take the tour it is worth the visit. We drove back to the hotel ate a bit of lunch and took a tour of Trim castle, our tour guide was very entertaining and knowledgeable she took time to answer our questions and didn't hurry us through.

The next day we drove to Glenalough through the wicklow mountains and roads that were very scary, Irelands roads are SO narrow. We enjoyed Glendalough it is truly a peaceful place. On a walking path we met a local painter who was walking his dog, a German Shepard my favorite dogs, he was so kind and helpful we spent a lot of his time talking to him but that seems to be the case in Ireland such kind helpful people. We had lunch there at a place called Lauras, I think, was told that Daniel day Lewis frequents it as he lives near there. The food was okay large portions everywhere we ate.

We left there and continued on our way to Kilkenny for a 3 night stay at the Pinecrest BnB. What lovely people that run it. It's what a BnB should be, a short walking distance to town

but quiet and clean, Helen and Liam go out of their way to be helpful.

While there we went to Kilkenny castle and toured the city. The next day we went to Waterford, toured the factory then went to find the famine ship we eventually did and took a tour of it, that was fun.

The next day we headed back to Dublin but took a detour to the Rock of Cashel which my son enjoyed immensely especially the old abbey which was a little walk away.

We arrived in Dublin for our 2 nights stay at the Metro hotel, I'm doing a review on it. The next day we took the hop on hop off bus and jumped off at the Kilmainham Gaol and that was interesting after the jail we went to the Jamison brewery and took the tour which also was interesting. I don't drink hard liquor but I must admit that it is very smooth a true gem I guess you'd call it.

We took the hotel shuttle to the airport having taken the car back the day before we didn't want to be held up at the rental counter and miss the plane or at the very least have to stress about it. Budget tried to tell us we scratched the mirror, we didn't, left a long scratch on the side of the car it was there already, we got the super insurance so didn't have to pay for anything real or imagined I suspect they were trying to get money for something out of an insurance company, just my opinion.

Smooth flights all the way back and they were on time to.

All in all Ireland is beautiful, the people are the nicest in the whole world therefore it's worth a visit or two, you'll come away feeling better about yourself and the world.

Collie

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,801 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report

Collie, I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. Thanks for the trip report.

Perhaps we are somewhat immune to the roads which is why we don't always see them as being scary :o))

And yes, isn't Glendalough very spiritual and peaceful and beautiful.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,019 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report

Thanks for posting. Glad you'd a good trip.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report

Thanks for the trip report and what lovely kind words about the Irish people.

I am so glad you enjoyed yourself.

Look forward to seeing you on the West Coast on your next visit:-)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report

Colliegirl, thanks for the trip report and for saying such nice things! Glad that you enjoyed yourselves.

5. Re: trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 07:17