We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Ireland for a year

Odense, Denmark
3 posts
Save Topic
Going to Ireland for a year

Hello!

I am going to Ireland this August and am staying for a year, and I am wondering if anyone could give me some advise on the following topics:

Is it easy to get an Irish bank account/insurance/mobile company for foreigners?

Are there a lot of outdoor shops (in general in Ireland) with good/affordable rainproof jackets etc.?

What is the reasonable rent for a room for one person in the different cities?

Thanks!!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Ireland for a year

1 - You will need to check with the banks. The main banks are AIB; Bank of Ireland; Ulster Bank and National Irish Bank. The latter two are owned by bigger banks outside the country. They have websites so just contact and ask.

What type insurance - motor, personal, home? again, google Irish Insurance and see what comes up

Mobile phones - you can buy these in Tesco supermarket. There are several outlets for the main service providers too - Vodafone; 3, Meteor and O2

2 - yes but outdoor shops tend to deal in camping gear, climbing and mountaineering stuff and the like so going in to by a rain mac would be dearer than going to a high street shop and buying an anorak!

3 - have a look at myhome.ie Do you want a single room apartment or share a house with others [your own room] Prices will vary within cities depending on location for the same square footage.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Ireland for a year

National Irish Bank is now Danske Bank which might prove useful for your banking issue.

Odense, Denmark
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Ireland for a year

Ok, thanks for your replies!

I didn't know that Danske Bank was operating in Ireland.

About the mobile phones... In Denmark I use an internet-based company where I have an account, so I was just wondering if you have something similar in Ireland.

I've looked at myhome.ie. It looks very expensive! But I guess those are the common prices...

I'm a bit surprised that a country with so much rain doesn't have better ways to shop for wainproof clothes. But I think I'll just buy it here then ;o)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Ireland for a year

Irish people don't tend to bother too much with waterproof clothes! I am not too sure how we manage but on the whole we tend to ignore it!

As for banks, you will have to provide proof of residence to open an account. You will need a utility bill (electric, gas, or something like tax etc) with a recent address on, also a passport and/or drivers license with an address here. Some banks have given up a bit on the utility bill thing as so many people go on-line, but they will look for passport AND drivers license in that case. It does make life difficult, but they are specifically trying to stop non-residents opening accounts.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Ireland for a year

Hello. You can find a decent single room centrally located for 300 euro if you search for it well enough. If you don't know yet, the best place to search for it is a website called Daft. (www.daft.ie)

48, a mobile operator, has a service similar to what you described. Don't know how good it is, though.

If you are coming to Ireland for school or work, they might be able to help you with the bank account. And regarding the water proof clothes, it doesn't rain in Ireland as much as people say. In the winter and autumn what you have 90% of the time is a drizzle that can barely gets you wet (: . But yes, outdoor and camping shops are much better in Denmark, I think you will be better buying this stuff there.

Odense, Denmark
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Ireland for a year

Allright, thanks guys!

7. Re: Going to Ireland for a year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 06:20