We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Draft for 9-day Ireland Itinerary

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
157 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic

The wife and I will be our first trip to Ireland in July. I've been researching like crazy and have put together my first draft of a 9-day itinerary (not counting flight days) and would be interested in feedback. We're both 30 years old, no kids. We're interested as much (more, really) in absorbing the local culture, countryside, food, pubs, etc as we are in checking off the big tourist spots. We want to get lost in the beautiful backroads and not spend too much time moving luggage.

That said, I have included a few tourist spots on there that seem like must-sees.

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin early AM. Hang out around Dublin (Hop-on/hop-off bus).

Day 2: Dublin -> Galway. Rest of the day we can spend either taking our time exploring on the way to Galway, or spending some more time in Dublin and not leaving until the afternoon. Stay in Galway until Day 6.

Alternate Day 2: Attend Irish football game if one is scheduled (when does the July schedule come out?)

Day 3: Galway Arts Festival

Day 4: Aran Islands

Day 5: Hike Croagh Patrick or ride bikes on The Great Western Greenway out of Westport.

Day 6: Long day. Drive through the Burren, visit Cliffs of Moher and drive Loop Head on the way to Ennis. Spend the night in Ennis taking in the local music flavor.

Day 7: Ennis -> Dingle via Connor Pass. Explore Dingle area.

Day 8: Explore Dingle area.

Day 9: Explore Dingle area.

Day 10: Drive back to Dublin and fly out at ~5pm.

What are your thoughts on the itinerary? Will we get a good mix of the real Ireland along with a few of the can't miss sights?

One of my concerns is that everything seems to be coast-oriented, especially since after Ireland we'll likely be headed to more coastline (Amalfi or Santorini). Is there anything that I'm really missing inland in the area that I should take something out for? Maybe do Connemara instead of Aran Islands? Or cut out Aran Islands and spend a night in westport, doing both the Croagh Patrick and The Great Northwestern Greenway cycling on two different days rather than just choosing one of them as a day trip from Galway?

Is Ennis worth a stop for the music or will we find good music everywhere and should just head on down to Dingle that day?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Draft for 9-day Ireland Itinerary

Day 2 - that depends on the day, the big Inter county games happen at weekends but you can catch a good inter club game in the evening. Just google ["your county" GAA] and you should find that counties website - and its inter club fixtures. Also, you might like to attend a game of hurling [you won't find much football in Kilkenny].

For something completely different and away from the coast and to get into the heart of the country, strike out through Meath [Trim Castle & Bru na Boinne/Newgrange] go up through Kells and over to Oldcastle [Little Hills of the Witch - more prehistory!] Go on up around Lough Sheelin and over to Longford and then up to Carrick on Shannon where you can do a few days on a hire cruiser on the Shannon or take in the Iron Mountain/Arigna Mines area.. But as I say, its different.

2. Re: First Draft for 9-day Ireland Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 06:17