We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluebell Woods at Rathangan - any other suggestions?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Bluebell Woods at Rathangan - any other suggestions?

A few years ago hubby and I drove up all the way up to Portglenone in Co. Antrim in order to see the famous bluebell woods there. And it was so worth while!

Last Saturday we went on a shorter drive to Killinthomas Woods near Rathangan in Co.Kildare. It was an absolutely beautiful, uplifting experience.

From the centre of Rathangan you take the road to Edenderry. At the roundabout just outside town you take a right turn onto the L3001 (obviously coming from Edenderry this is a left turn...). Just up the road there is a signpost to the right ("Woods"). This turn will take you to the carpark at Killinthomas Woods.

All the walks are well signposted from the carpark and throughout the forest. You can take a short walk or a longer walk, the walks will always get you back to the carpark.

The walk through the Woods was delightful. With trees and flowers being about four weeks late and winter having lingered on it was just so uplifting to see Spring at its best at last.

The combination of drifts of bluebells and wild garlic, primroses and celandine topped by the fresh may-green leaves of the mature beech trees was good for heart and soul.

The walkways have been very well maintained by the local community (well done, Rathangan!). The "Camp Walk" leading onto the "Bluebell Walk" can be managed by wheelchairs (paths are compacted soil or gravel with the odd tree root sticking out).

I realise that Killinthomas Woods are out of most visitors' usual itinerary but if you're looking for a beautiful, secluded part of Ireland you could do worse than visiting Killinthomas Woods while the bluebells are so glorious! I think the Woods will be spectacular in autumn...

I would love suggestions for other bluebell woods in Ireland!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bluebell Woods at Rathangan - any other suggestions?

Jenkinstown Woods in Kilkenny, off the Castlecomer Road, are lovely!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bluebell Woods at Rathangan - any other suggestions?

Thanks Doneraile, we'll get there!

3. Re: Bluebell Woods at Rathangan - any other suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:20