We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

I have read many, many threads re plug adapters and have only seen tbe 3 prong type with 3 rectangular prongs referred to. I visited a luggage/travel store today to get An adapter and there were 2 types listed for IE. The second type had a round grounding prong. The shopkeeper said I would need both types as the outlets vary in IE. Can anyone out there shed some light on this--pun intended. Sorry to reintroduce this topic which has been widely discussed, perhaps I missed the answer. Thanks in advance for your assistance. You all do a great job and provide a really useful and appreciated service. THANKS

71 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

U need the three prong one only. Unless you want to plug into a bathroom shaver point thats two round pins. If you buy them here in argos or tesco there only 3/4 euro

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
929 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

I just returned from a Trip to Ireand, and I can tell you that the adapter with the three square prongs is the most commonly required, this is sometimes called "UK Type". In some hotels you will also find "European" round recessed style outlets, for those you will need the two round prongs adapter.

Let me tell you that something "peculiar" in Ireland is that the electrical outlets have on/off switches, and also that hair dryers are very often located and hard wired outside the bathroom and inside a drawer.

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

Denisobrian

Thanks for the info. Guess I will go with the 3 rectangular prongs adaptor

Josebenjamin!6

Thanks for the helpful tips. Now I'll know to search for the hairdryer

Has anyone encountered the plug with 2rectangular prongs and 1 round prong?

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

I've never seen that type of plug you describe. Many years ago it was common for older rural houses to use plugs with three round prongs, but these are very much a rarity now.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

that third prong is for grounding and is not essential. Indeed it just gets in the way if you have a 3-prong plug and a 2-hole outlet

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,232 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

Comprehensive description of the worlds plugs/sockets: https:/…AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Do you see anything that resembles the second type with round earthing pin? Just curious!

Another peculiarity with Irish plugs (not sockets!) is that they have a fuse inside, usually either 3amp or 13amp. Your adaptor should ideally have such a fuse as the main fuse on a ring main is 30 amps. If any appliance fails to work, first check the fuse.

dhauk - if you removed the earthing pin on the Irish type 3--rectangular-pins then you wouldn't get it in the socket due to safety covers which are supposed to stop children poking things into the live holes.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 19:32
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,052 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

The 3 prong rectangular is the only converter I've every used. . In 9 trips and approximately 150 nights have never come across anything with round, or two prongs.

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

Thanks everyone for your responses

Dyoll: thanks for the electrical adaptor lesson (are u familiar with the expression TMI :)

Look like I have a Bs 1363 plug which appears to be the correct plug. I do not see any place for a fuse but I'm OK with that. The other adapter was the old type Bs546 which has been phased out.

I'm good to go and have a great time and meet some great people. Thanks again for all the hand holding, this all seemed so much easier when I waz younger. HAha

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

Thanks everyone for your responses

Dyoll: thanks for the electrical adaptor lesson (are u familiar with the expression TMI :)

Look like I have a Bs 1363 plug which appears to be the correct plug. I do not see any place for a fuse but I'm OK with that. The other adapter was the old type Bs546 which has been phased out.

I'm good to go and have a great time and meet some great people. Thanks again for all the hand holding, this all seemed so much easier when I waz younger. HAha

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??

I think I remember the three prong with a roundy earth years and years ago...

For anyone buying adapters I just wanted to let you know that I purchased some recently in a shop here called Dealz for €1.49 each. (about US$2) Don't go spending loads on them before you go!

Reply to: 2 types of electric plug adapters for Ireland??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted