We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

We're in our seventies and would like to see Ireland for the first time. Driving on the left worries us. What is the next-best way to see some of the country without being part of a big bus tour?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

You can hire a car and driver if you have the budget for it. Or take trains and buses to several cities or towns to use as a base and take day tours from there. Do you have specific things in mind that you'd like to see?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

No specific things yet, as we are just starting on the idea. Any suggestions? Any must-sees?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,676 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

Some companies offer smaller bus tours--just google "small bus tours Ireland".

IMHO, everyone's "must-sees" are different. I got some guide books out of the library and planned an itinerary based on what appeals to us.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

You could base yourselves in 3 towns / cities and do day trips. For a first time visitor I'd suggest Dublin, Galway, Killarney, but I'm sure others will come up with suggestions.

5. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 00:05
6. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

7. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

I'm driving here in Ireland, as we speak. If you can drive in the US, you an drive here. Nothing to be worried about.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

Don't text and drive, Jason! It's dangerous. :)

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't Want to Drive in Ireland

Lol. You know what I meant.