We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 "bases" for music and pub scene.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
2 "bases" for music and pub scene.

Hi there,I know this question is really broad, and I have already collected some ideas from past threads, but I'm going to post anyway as my needs are a little different. There are 3 of us travelling ( all first time to Ireland) and staying for 16 days. First 2 nights inDublin, then hire a car and head to Cork. One in our party is a blind musican, and so for him the focus of his trip is going to be the music scene. I'd like to pick 2 bases between clonaklity and Galway ( huge spread, yes i know!) where we could stay (self catering cottage type accommodation) and in the evenings be able to walk to local pubs and enjoy( and participate) in the music scene. As we'd have a car, it would be perfect for day trips to see the sights. It would be great to " set up camp" , and not be putting our companion in a new and unfamiliar hotel room each ( or every 2nd) night.

Two perfect "bases" between cork and Galway , 5 days in each.

Thanks for any suggestions

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 "bases" for music and pub scene.

What Dates? Maybe tie in with a festival at some point?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 "bases" for music and pub scene.

Hi Tony,

Arrive Dublin May 29, in a week!

Thanks

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 "bases" for music and pub scene.

Clonakilty and Galway would work as your bases. I particulalry like Clon. Your week spans the June Holiday weekend, so you would need to get your accommodation choices nailed down pretty quickly

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 "bases" for music and pub scene.

You just miss the Fledh Nua in Ennis but the Clare County Fledh is on in Miltown Malbay the 12th to 17th June. The Doolin Folk Festival on the 14-16th June, so somewhere along the Clare coast might work for the end of the trip, especially if flying out from Shannon.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 "bases" for music and pub scene.

Thanks for your replys , yes some where on the Clare coast sounds ideal and it has narrowed down my original very broad question. I am sure there will be heaps of places that fit the bill, and it is all personal opinion, but I am interested to hear any suggestions, cheers.

6. Re: 2 "bases" for music and pub scene.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:18