We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Day: Shannon to the Burren to Cliffs of Moher

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
First Day: Shannon to the Burren to Cliffs of Moher

Hi All,

First, a big thanks to all you experts here that take the time to answer questions and provide such helpful information. I'd be lost trying to plan a trip without TA!!

So, my question:

We are planning to arrive in Shannon on the AM of August 17th. We will be based out of Killarney for a 7 day golf trip that begins on Monday.

Our first day is the only feasible day to see the Burren and the Cliffs, as my husband will be golfing on all of the other days but one. Is this do-able? I used the AA route planner and it seems that the Burren is about an hour from Shannon and then another hour on to the Cliffs.

After the Cliffs, I would like to drive about halfway to Killarney and spend the night...maybe Adare?

My husband has to be in Killarney by noon-ish on Monday.

Thanks again!

Brooke

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Day: Shannon to the Burren to Cliffs of Moher

Hi Brooke, yes it is do-able. The only problem is possible jetlag as the roads around the Burren are quite narrow and twisting.

The route I usually take for a day trip is drive from Ennis to Corofin, turn right at Lemenagh Castle which brings you past Poulnabrone Dolmen and Aillwee Cave.

www.megalithicireland.com/Poulnabrone.htm

www.aillweecave.ie

You could stop for an early lunch in Ballyvaughan. The Tea Rooms are very good.

http://www.tearoomsballyvaughan.com/

From here, take the coastal route towards the Cliffs of Moher. The scenery along the route is quite spectacular and you can stop to enjoy it at various points along the way.

Adare would be a good place to stay as it would put you well on the road to Killarney.

You might also consider Ennis, which would give you a better selection of bars and restaurant, although I am guessing ye will be having an early night:-)

www.visitennis.ie

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Day: Shannon to the Burren to Cliffs of Moher

Yeah, and somewhere along the way DITCH the husband ;-O

There are plenty of cliffs, just make sure it's a good hard push.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 07:35
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,812 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Day: Shannon to the Burren to Cliffs of Moher

After you've seen West Clare, it might be worth considering going down towards Kilimer and taking the Shannon Ferry www.shannonferries.com

You could stay in Kilkee and take the ferry the following morning.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Day: Shannon to the Burren to Cliffs of Moher

as a seasoned traveler to ireland i think it's too much for day one...you never know when jet lag is going to zap you, thus putting not only yourselves but other drivers on the road in danger....however since you appear to be arriving on a saturday and don't have to be in killarney until noonish monday, i would suggest you maybe see the cliffs on saturday and if jet lag doesn't get you early do the burren...if it does, take a nap and do it later in the day or you could do it on sunday morning, then head on down to or near killarney....

that will give you time to enjoy both and still be safe and unrushed....

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Day: Shannon to the Burren to Cliffs of Moher

My husband and I flew into Shannon last month and visited Bunratty Castle, the Cliffs and some of the Burren on day one. For reference we are in our mid-thirties and I personally think we were on a vacation rush the first day which helped get us through. We didn't experience jet lag until day three! I will say that mid-way through the Burren we started to get tired and decided to head to Ennis to check in to our hotel which was about 30-40 minutes from the Burren area.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Day: Shannon to the Burren to Cliffs of Moher

tpaulo, that's wonderful that jet lag didn't get you and i must say it's the first time i've ever heard of jet lag getting someone on day three...

it will of course be up to the op how they handle their trip but i still caution them to be careful about endangering themselves and others....caution is in order for sure......

Edited: 24 May 2013, 16:36
7. Re: First Day: Shannon to the Burren to Cliffs of Moher

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:17