We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

When someone asks that question, the answer is usually 'yes.'

We have a brief trip to Ireland Aug 29 - Sept 3 (our dates actually in Ireland, not travelling. Believe it or not, I did try to pare this thing down. Dingle looks stunning and we are very excited to visit that neck of the woods. It may be too much time, for us and our particular wants, in Dublin, but we can relax, drink, do things at a leisurely pace.

Arrive in DUB (tried unsuccessful to fly into or out of Shannon - booked on miles, so less flexibility) at 5:15 on August 29. Depart DUB at 615pm on Sept 3.

Depart BOS on Wednesday, August 28 at 6:15pm

Arrive in DUB on Thursday, August 29 at 5:15am

One way car rental

Pick up at DUB on Thursday, August 29 at 6:15am

Return to KIR on Sunday, September 1 at Noon

Automatic transmission, GPS

Day 1 - August 29

Drive 4-5 hours to Rock of Cashel

Spend night

Day 2 - August 30

Drive 3-4 hours to Dingle

Spend two nights at Pax Guest House

Day 3 - August 31

Dingle ctd.

Day 4 - September 1

Fly from Kerry (KIR, about an hour away) to Dublin on Aer Lingus - departing at 12:30pm

Spend two nights in Sheraton Dublin (free, points)

Day 5 - September 2

Dublin ctd.

Day 6 - September 3

Dublin ctd.

Depart DUB on Tuesday, September 3 at 4:15pm

Arrive BOS same day at 6:10pm

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,334 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

Why Fly Kerry to Dublin when in the time you will spend too from and in Airports you could have just driven

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

Dublin airport to rock of Cashel is 2hrs 15 mins. You have a toll (€3.10) to pay on the M50 - no toll booths, you have to buy a token, ask the car hire company, when collecting the car, where you can buy one.

If you want a guided tour of the Rock, allow 2 hours for there, otherwise an hour would be sufficient, but a guided tour, which is included in the entrance fee is worthwhile. On the same day, I would continue on to Cahir(20 minutes drive) and visit Cahir Castle which is well worth seeing - again, a guided tour is included in the entrance fee. Stay in Cahir that night

Days 2,3 4 seem fine to me and for the remaining days, you have plenty of time for sightseeing in Dublin at a leisurely pace. I would suggest a HoHo bus for Dublin, to get an overview and a feel for the city. The ticket is valid for two days

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

Are you sure about the token, fenlaDublin?

In 2011, I just drove through the M50 toll gantry with no token and just paid the (at that time) 3 Euro toll at a filling station with PayZone later in the day. The gantry has cameras that "read" the license plate and knows you have passed even if you don't have a token, surely?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

OilR, apologies if the way I advised about the toll token for the M50 seemed to indicate that it had to be bought in advance, which is not the case. However, it must be purchased no later than 8.00PM the day following use of the toll section of the M50. There is always the possibility that one might forget to buy the token later, after using the toll section - I speak from experience - and then you are into the realm of late payment fines. So that's why I recommend that it be bought in advance - if it's convenient.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

I'm still confused as to why you are referring to "buying a token" rather than simply saying "paying the toll". If you refer to "buying a token", it sounds like it's a physical thing that needs to be bought, instead of just a "bill that needs to be settled".

I was not aware that you could pay before you went through the toll gantry, though.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

tony2phones, my thinking was that it would save us 2-3 hours even so. Is that not the case? It seemed like if we drove from Dingle to Dublin, it would be like 5 hours or more, if we drove straight. Am I wrong? Part of this itinerary was from looking at a map in an Ireland guide book that estimated travel times between cities.

The flight is partially due to my own fear that the trip is too short and we'll be spending too much time driving. We can't (or, we won't) lengthen the trip since this is the first time we are travelling without our young son, who will be about 19 months at the time.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,111 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

I'm also confused by the "token" tales...starting to sound like The Hobbit. :)

Anyway, for the M50 toll, there is a definite need to pay it by 8:00 the next evening after you've been through, but unless something has changed very recently there is no "token" involved, neither in advance or afterwards. The toll is electronic. The vehicle is registered as having been through the toll and you either have an account and it's settled up automatically, or you stop by one of the "payzone" outlets (found all over the country) to settle up, or you pay by phone or on the internet. There is no physical "token".

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,334 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

So take the Hour from Dingle to Kerry airport an hour and a half before take off because as non EU you have to present travel documents even at a hanger like Kerry, add another half hour to hand in and car check that's 3 hours then a 30 minute flight with your (very) limited Baggage and again as non EU extra security at customs which is over 20 minutes walk in Dublin Airport then an hour from Dublin Airport into Dublin city and How much time were you thinking all this faffing about would save?

Why 2 nights on a small peninsula anyway when you only have 6 to start with?

Edited: 22 May 2013, 21:50
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

I also thought it would save in exhaustion. but I see your point. This is why I asked the question, because i did not know about the non EU issues, the walking, etc., and did think that flying out of a smaller airport for a short flight would be a painless experience. I sense a tone in your response, tony2phones, that strikes me as a bit unfair.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 Day Itinerary - Am I crazy?

John, I think your itinerary looks fine. It is a good idea to break your journey in Cashel on your first day.

It will be an easy enough drive from Dublin, and Cashel is a nice town to relax in after your transatlantic flight.

I know where Tony is coming from, but you have decided that Dingle is the place you would like to visit and that is your choice.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 22:04