We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Ireland What Do you Think?

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
5 Days in Ireland What Do you Think?

Hello All,

I am travelling to Ireland in July and have just 5 short days to spend in this amazing country (flying home from Dublin).

Here is what I have dreamt up, please let me know what you think and what suggestions you have in each city. I am very thankful for any recommendations. I will have a rental car until I get to Dublin.

Fly into Shannon or Galway ??? (Spend the night)

Day 1 - Wake up and drive to Cliffs of Moher. See the cliffs and then drive south and stay for a night in Kenmare or Killarney ????

Day 2 - Wake up and drive the ring of Kerry for the day. Stay somewhere or drive to Cork and stay there for the night

Day 3 - See Blarney Castle and other stuff in and around Cork. Spend the night again or take a late train to Dublin?

Day 4 & 5 - Dublin, looking for suggestions all I have on the list is the Jameson and Guiness tours.

Thank in advance for any and all advice

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,969 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Ireland What Do you Think?

Galway no longer has an Airport. As you aim to be south of the Shannon Day 2 then fly into Shannon and use Ennis as your base. Day 2 drive round the Dingle peninsula to Killarney. for 2 nights? Then round Beara ending in Blarney for the next night before heading to Dublin calling at Cahir and Cashel on the way.

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
644 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Ireland What Do you Think?

If you fly into Shannon why not stay on the west coast anywhere between Ballyvaughan and Liscannor.You could drive through the Burren, stay overnight and then visit the Cliffs early in the morning before the tour busses invade

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Ireland What Do you Think?

Thank you for the recommendation. If I did that how long would you say the drive from Shannon to Ballyvaughan is? and then what time should I arrive at the cliffs to avoid the tour bus invasion?

Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days in Ireland What Do you Think?

Us Dubs would love to have you visit but in reality, you stay is too short so concentrate your visit in and around Shannonside. If you do find you have time, take the HoHo bus - here's the link www.dublinsightseeing.ie/pdf/tours_08.pdf This will give you some more ideas on what you might like to hop off and visit.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days in Ireland What Do you Think?

Most flights from TO land in Ireland in the morning so staying in Shannon would be a waste of time since it is really just an airport area. Although you don't want to drive too far the first day (jet lag)- aim for one of the places you want to visit.

6. Re: 5 Days in Ireland What Do you Think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:16