We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

This isn't a question as much as a comment. I've been reading and contributing to this forum for a few months in preparation for my first trip to Ireland. We've been here for a week and are having a wonderful time in a beautiful and welcoming country.

The only negative issue that we've had was during the planning stages when we were learning about the car rental insurance policies. I've rented cars and driven all over the world and the pitfalls to renting in Ireland were something I've never experienced. The bottom line is that the car rental insurance costs added approximately $1000 to my 29 day rental charge.

I love this country and it's people and can see myself returning for many years to come. However, I wonder how many people look at the costs involved and decide to go somewhere else. The insurance cost for my rental came to about 15% of my total trip cost. That's alot for a retired couple traveling for an extended period of time. I wonder if the government isn't being shortsighted by not regulating this industry.

As far as the actual driving is concerned I would assure people that it isn't an issue if you use the same common sense that you use at home. Yesterday I spent most of the day lost in County Mayo. I was on many kilometers of L roads as well as B roads. The B roads are plenty wide enough for two vehicles. The thing that makes them appear narrower is that there are no berms. Just stay on your side and there will be plenty of room for everyone.

I hope no one takes this as a negative comment. As I said, I love Ireland and the people who live here and want to return on a regular basis.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 10:43
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

Absolutely, totally agree with your comments about car rental. It is very short-sighted and stupid the way tourists are held to ransom over car insurance, and some of the general aggravation about car hire generally. There has been some regulation of the car rental situation, but it is still ridiculous, if the government put as much energy into controlling the car rental industry as they put into 'the Gathering' it would have a more positive effect on the tourism industry.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

If you want to see it completely go down the tubes, have the government regulate it... Government regulation can lead to lower prices, but never without a cost, whether it be in choice, convenience or quality.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

Okay, I'm not a big fan of over regulation either. How about if ONE car rental company had the nerve to begin accepting the cover offered by the credit card companies? The same cover offered in most other countries. Do you think they'd get a huge share of the rental car business as soon as it became known?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

Don't see that there would be much extra cost in it being mandatory that the consumer is given full information on insurance cover, excesses and costs clearly and transparently before committing with the 'submit order' button.

As long as one company can gain the commercial advantage of apparently lower prices by hiding this information deep in the small print or otherwise then other companies have to follow suite or lose business.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

Well, Dooley already does this to a very large extent. If you make it compulsory for everyone to do this, Dooley would struggle to gain market share, thereby limiting quality and/or choice.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

as we tell folks over and over and over again...know what your price includes...i can't speak for other rental companies since i use dooley for my cars...i pay for it IN FULL before leaving home....

you can pay for all insurances, including super cdw, tires and glass.....in fact this year i was allowed to pay for my fuel deposit up front also...didn't have to pay one single cent at pickup or return since i returned the car undamaged and the fuel tank full....have already had my fuel deposit credited back to my card and i just got back monday night......

moral of the story: KNOW WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR.....

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

Yes. We all agree that transparency would be wonderful and knowing what you'll be charged for is a good thing. That wasn't my point. My point was a question about how the rental car company policies effect long term tourism in Ireland. Probably not much to some of the posters on this forum but possibly alot to the masses that are unheard from and feel that they've been taken advantage of.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

paulkris, I'm saying it for years about car rental here and I'm not going to repeat myself on that score.

Bottom line is that while it is great you make your point about it on TA, it will do nothing to improve the situation, unless you complain about it in the correct arena.

Visitors who are unhappy with the car rental situation in this country need to start seriously complaining about it. First - complain in writing to the car rental company, then if no response from them, contact Tourism Ireland. www.tourismireland.com (They have a simple 'contact us' button). If you get no response from them then you need to go further with it. A registered letter to our Taoiseach might help, but until car renters start seriously complaining, the car rental situation will remain the same into the future, and that situation is that car rental in this country is a 'necessary expensive evil' for visitors.

Continue to enjoy your visit, but in doing so, be formulating a strongly worded letter to the aforementioned regarding your experience, and which I agree, is a very shortsighted and greedy policy.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

Just returned and totally agree about transparency. It would probably put many off from renting a car in Ireland if they told the truth. The problem in my opinion is a combo of greed and a risk pool driven by uninformed tourists who think they can jump into a car, drive on the left for their first visit and just take off with no jet-lag and then see everything in a week. Personally, I would rather pay the higher insurance premium versus do the bus tour routes. FYI - The three most expensive countries for car rental all begin with the letter "I" = Ireland, Italy and Israel.

Hoping you enjoy the rest of your stay despite this obvious SCAM.

I am planning to write to Tourism Ireland and the rental car company to complain about the lack of honesty. Expect the result to be a corporate form response and to be ignored. This is an old issue that they all surely have been aware of for decades.

Oceanside,Ca
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shortsighted Rental Car Policies?

I am visiting in June and was under the impression that if you can supply documentation from your credit card showing that they will cover damages, I would be covered. Is this not accurate?

Thanks,

Larry