We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
"When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

"When I visited Ireland, I wished I had.........."

* Seen?

* Packed or not packed?

* Planned on?

* Known?

* Not missed opportunities for?

* Spent more or less money on?

* Put more thought into?

It seems that most anyone who has been to Ireland has experienced such a fantastic time! How can one go wrong with such a beautiful country?

Everyone will have different plans, budgets, reasons to visit, needs, likes, sites to see, itineraries, time-lines, etc. Some like to take a tour, others self-drive and cater. Some like hotels and some love B & B's. To each their own.

I would sure like to hear from others in a light-hearted *positive* way that even while your Ireland trip was brilliant, what things you personally, as your own decision-maker and key-planner, would re-think or plan a little different the next time, such as spending more time in certain areas, forgetting something you should have packed, mini-regrets on what you did pack you didn't need to worry about, slow and/or speed of the trip, physical things like footwear, clothing, electronic devices, etc.

This is a pretty general question I realize, but it would be interesting to know what would be done differently with your own design the next time you visit.

Cheers! :)

Edited: 28 May 2013, 19:02
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Aquaventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
My Ireland Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours
321 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

"When I visited Ireland, I wished I had More Time".

Cheers !

Sunny

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

Not had to see my money diminish as I changed my pounds to euros! IT makes a big difference when the pound is so weak! Its the one thing that might make me favour Scotland/Cornwall etc above Ireland.....

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

I wish I had not wrecked the rental car during my first trip! (remember to turn into the correct lane!)

I wish during my first trip I had spent more time talking to locals and not being so introverted.

I wish during last year's trip I could have gotten my folks to stay up late enough to actually hear a session.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

Any ideas for finding a B&B while "on the road?" Have booked my first and last nights, but am trying to be flexible about some of the day tripping...so we don't know exactly where we might end up. Thanks.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

th11052mom you might start a new post for that....also you'll need some info for anyone to help....like time of the year, where are you flying into and out of, where you'll be going/coming from, etc....

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts on "When I visited Ireland, so glad you all had a good time during your visists, next time you visit please consider Beautiful Donegal, miles of Atlantic coastline, at least a dozen Blue Flag Beaches, Mountain and woodland walks, rich in Heritage and Culture, I can take a 2 mile drive to the local shopping center and smile the whole way there and back just looking at the beautiful River Finn and surrounding landscape.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

So glad this old post has come back around as it's a great one.

Our visit was truly amazing but with the benefit of hindsight since our trip in May, 2013, we have both agreed that next time we will spend more time in Dublin. We flew in on one day with almost no sleep on board and left the city early the next morning. Same scenario in reverse on the way back home. We realize that there were lots of things to see and do in Dublin that we just didn't have time (or the energy) to do.

Next time Dublin...next time! :)

Diane

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Craig, Colorado
11 posts
Save Reply
78. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

Maz N

My husband & I are leaving for Ireland the 15th & we will be staying in Donegal Town our first 2 nights. No set plans after that so who knows, we might stay longer. Looking forward to our trip!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Donegal Town
Donegal Town
County Donegal, Ireland
Wading River, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

Hi, Going to Ireland in 2 weeks (& can't wait), but you mentioned the hair dryer will melt ?

Should I bring a straightener or hair dryer? I will be bringing a converter & adaptor, isn't that good enough for the hair dryer?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"

take our advice, go to walmart, kmart, etc. and buy and dual voltage straighenter and all you'll need is a plug converter.....as for hair dryers, the b&bs will have them, and well as hotels if you take that route....

Reply to: "When I visited Ireland, I wished I had ......"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted