We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

To all you kind TA helpers, I know that this is asked alot, but I'm hoping for some input on this itinerary. I already have all the lodging and the car booked and have some basic ideas. Am hoping that you can fill in where I've been sketchy. We are late 40's, not that big on museum's though will for must-see's, like to have a daily plan but very willing to stray from the plan as things come up, not into club-ing but very much into pub-ing, beautiful scenery/walking, shopping but not for too long. Want activities but not so much that we are stressed out-- want to ensure time to just be and see what comes up, while having some basic plans. With that said, all help appreciated!

Day 1: Arrive Dublin airport 7:30 a.m., Stay Dublin 3 nights (Best Western Plus) Hop on Hop off bus- whatever strikes fancy, Musical Pubcrawl?

Day 2: Stay Dublin (Best Western Plus) Gaol, Guinness Storehouse, Trinity College, Temple Bar area, Food Folklore and Fairies at night

Day 3: Stay Dublin (Best Western Plus), Historical Walking tour, Dublin Castle, Jameson’s Distillery and Cobblestone’s Pub, Grafton Street, whatever

** To fit in if time: Train to Enniskerry, See Powerscourt Gardens and town

Day 4: Get car from Hertz at airport and drive 1.5 hours to Kilkenny via Glendalough ruins, Powerscourt if didn’t do already Stay Kilkenny 2 nights (Zuni hotel)

Day 5: Stay Kilkenny (Zuni hotel), Castle and town, Smithwicks Brewery (still open?)

Day 6: Drive through Rock of Cashel (1 hr) and ? to Kenmare (2.5 hours) Stay Kenmare 2 nights (Rockcrest House)

Day 7: Stay Kenmare (Rockcrest House) drive Beara penninsula

Day 8: Drive 1.5 hours to Dingle, Stay Dingle 3 nights (Lighthouse B&B), see Dingle and ?

Day 9: Stay Dingle (Lighthouse), Drive Dingle Peninsula Loop, Pubs

Day 10: Stay Dingle (Lighthouse), Boat ride to the Blaskets, Dingle town and ?

Day 11: Drive to Galway minimum 4.5 hours, via Cliffs of Moher and Burren, possible medieval banquet @ Dunguaire Castle, Stay Galway 3 nights (The Western Hotel)

Day 12: Stay Galway (The Western Hotel), Galway and ?

Day 13: Stay Galway (The Western House), Boat ride to Aran Islands weather permitting, if not ?

Day 14: Return to Dublin, drive 2.5 hours, stops between Galway and Dublin?, stay Swords (Premier Inn), if time see Malahide

Day 15: Fly out 9:20 a.m. Dublin airport

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

On your way to Dingle from Kenmare you could come across the hills and take in Muckross House and gardens, Torc waterfall and if time permits Ross castle. You can also factor in a stop at Inch beach to blow away the cobwebs.

When you are in Dingle (tell Mary, Denis and Lucky I said hello)I'd try and get the earliest boat you can to the Blasket so you can get enough time to wander around at your ease. A map of the island is available at the Basket heritage centre in Dunchaoin so you could pick it up on your drive the previous day.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

The Burren deserves as much time as possible, it's an amazing place.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

And the Burren is the same acreage (560 Km sq) as the Dingle peninsula (562 Km sq). so 3 nights? Maybe not but I would take one night from Dingle to split the journey to Galway so that you could perhaps see a bit more of County Clare than a cliff top and moonscape.

For Galway or for the Connemara (1831 Km sq) then some spots are marked on the map http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

** To fit in if time: Train to Enniskerry, See Powerscourt Gardens and town. The Bray & Enniskerry Railway consists of one bridge- the rest of it was never built! Bus 44 from the city to Enniskerry Village, and its about a 5 min walk to the main gate. The driveway is about another 15 minutes to the House/Gardens.

Suggest you take the DART train to Greystones round trip and get off at Killiney. Walk along the Vico Rd and up onto Killiney Hill for panoramic views of Dublin City and the East Coast. Visit Powerscourt with the car. Oh and go on to Glendalough via Sally Gap and take in the Glenmacnass waterfall and valley.

illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

All, thanks so much for the replies. I really appreciate it!! I love this board-- so helpful!

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
755 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

It looks like a great trip! Book the smithwicks tour ahead of time. We went last week on a Wednesday and it was all booked!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
382 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

The boats to the Blasket Islands don't run every day as they are very much weather dependent. Make sure that when you arrive in Dingle, the first thing you do is have Mary/Denis call the various ports to see if any boats are running that day. If they are, go then, as they might not run again while you are there. We were only there two days and planned to go the first day, but the boats weren't running that first day. Fortunately for us, they went the second day, but I've read here that many people never have the chance to do it b/c the weather can be so iffy.

We stayed at the Lighthouse last August and loved it. Denis and Mary are wonderful and it is a great location for walking downtown as well as being so close to the start of the Slea Head drive.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,001 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

i agree with the caution about the blasket boats...i wouldn't wait for the last day just in case the weather is bad as was mentioned already....

illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

Excellent suggestion. We will definitely do that. Thank you!

10. Re: Another Ireland itinerary help please, 14 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 06:17