We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feedback on our intienary

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
feedback on our intienary

We don't have a lot of time to plan and I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on how realistic this schedule is. We will be driving ourselves and have ideas for lodging. I am mainly thinking about time on the road/stress/etc

Day #1 Dublin

arrive in Dublin early evening

day #2 Dublin

morning: Dublin

Stay in Dublin another night OR leave for Kilkenny in the afternoon ??

day #3

Rock of Cashel

drive south to County Cork. Spend the night in Kinsale

day #4

day/night in Kinsale in County Cork

day #5

drive to Dingle

spend the night in Dingle

day #6

day/night in Dingle

day #7

morning: drive to Gallway through County Clare (Ennis)

+ Cliffs of Moher and Doolin

spend the night in Galway

day #8-

morning Galway

p.m. drive back to Dublin (to be closer to Dublin airport)

day #9

fly home from Dublin

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,948 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: feedback on our intienary

Nice doable itinerary. I'd divide it thus.

First two and last night in Dublin. The other five nights in this order. Kilkenny, Kinsale, Dingle and two nights in Galway.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: feedback on our intienary

Skip Kinsale, stay somewhere less touristy like Clonakilty DittoDoolin,go for somewhere like Fanore.

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: feedback on our intienary

thank you!!!!

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: feedback on our intienary

thanks! Fanore looks great and we would probably have blown right by it if not for your advice.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,948 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: feedback on our intienary

You're more than welcome.

Come and enjoy.

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: feedback on our intienary

lordkimmage. yes we can't wait to visit!

As of now this is our schedule. We took a look at your profile and it matches us pretty closely so we appreciated the input!

Dublin - first 2 nights

Kinsale - 2 nights

Dingle - 2 nights

Galway - 1 night

Dublin - 1 night

I think the main difference is we are not spending the night in Kilkenny and spending only one night in Galway.

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: feedback on our intienary

For myself, if I had only one night to spend in Galway and then had to make it back to Dublin, I'd save that stretch for another trip and take in something a bit more convenient and less stressfully rushed all around.

Additionally and as an aside only, I agree with the comments about coastal Fanore being a wonderful spot to access so many great area sites and villages (of course once again only given enough time to spend in the area).

Edited: 03 June 2013, 18:22
New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: feedback on our intienary

Whoops, I left something out, in that I wouldn't skip Kinsale. I'd sooner chop a day in Dublin-- as well as the distance and crowds of but a single far flung Galway day-- anytime for two with what's both compelling and more accessibly relaxing from around a Fanore coastal B&B such as the so highly rated (see TA comments) and very good value Orchid House.

Bottom line in any case: Weigh it all and remember that everyone occasionally pushes favorites we like to make sound best choices for others. There are so few clear rights and wrongs. Whatever you decide can work if it's not too rushed or stretched by an excess of distance.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 18:38
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: feedback on our intienary

Galway which is generally considered a good base for touring a large area gets one night where somewhere which is not a touring base gets two nights?

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: feedback on our intienary

That's what I'm saying. Galway is a further investment with distance and time involving a following trip to Dublin Airport looming . It's a wonderful touring spot but for me but wants more conducive circumstances than a farther flung single day. I mentioned Fanore as a closer and more relaxing two day possibility with access to any number of particularly fine nearby villages and special natural surroundings.

There's a great deal of information easily available on sources such as this one about what's extremely worthy of attention within an average of half an hour's drive of Fanore. As stated previously, such decisions are ultimately about personal priorities and preferences, not so often this or that responder's wisdom as choice, to which we're all equally entitled and worthy, and most especially the questioner in the end of the day. What we should all do is try to avoid seeming smug by posturing our own conclusions as superior.