We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days road trip from and to Dublin

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3 days road trip from and to Dublin

[also posted in the road trip forum]

Hi! we'll be in Dublin for 4 days and of June and renting a car.

The first day will be dedicated to Dublin, but I need advice for the 3 other days.

I want to go west / southwest and need help making choices.

The 1st night and the 4th night are already reserved in Dublin.

Will be a couple with a 11-years old daughter.

Interested in nature, national parks, landscape, must-sees and "wows".

Not much interested in churches, museums, shopping and towns in general.

I would have loved to go to Connemara, Galway, Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, the Skellings, Killarney and Cork...

But only have 3 days.

In your opinion, what would make sense?

Many thanks,

JFP, Montreal

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days road trip from and to Dublin

Here's a route that you might find interesting:

Day 2: Depart Dublin early morning. Drive to Killarney NP via Cashel (to see the Rock of Cashel) and, perhaps Cahir to see Cahir Castle. Visit the sights in Killarney NP. Overnight in Killarney or Kenmare. (Driving time around 3.5 hours + any stops)

Day 3: Drive the Ring of Beara. Follow any signs for sights that sound interesting. (We found an ancient dolmen in a farmer's field by doing this.) Take the cable car to Dursey Island. You'll find plenty of places all day that are worth a walk and/or look around.

Day 4: Drive back to Dublin via Glendalough NP. (Driving time around 4 hours + stops)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days road trip from and to Dublin

Many thanks for the suggestions, I think I will apply them and tour the ring of Beara and not the ROK.

I know it's better to take time and enjoy wandering, but it's our 1st trip to Ireland and would like to see much.

Would this itinereray be possible? (We live in Canada and don't mind driving distances).

Day 1 : Dublin

Day 2 : Glendalough NP (morning) then road to Killarney in PM via Cashel and/or Cahir. Spend the night in Killarney.

Day 3 : Bantry Bay and ring of Beara and back to Killarney. (see Killarney NP if time remaining after the ring)

Day 4 : Killarney - Cliffs of Moher and drive back to spend the night in Dublin (flying early on Day 5). I might be deceived if I return skipping the Cliffs of Moher.

Thanks,

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days road trip from and to Dublin

Your proposed Day Two is a minimum of 6 hours of driving and I don't think it gives you enough time to adequately see Glendalough and the Rock of Cashel, much less Cahir Castle as well. (That's why I put Cashel/Cahir and Glendalough on two different days.) You can "see" Glendalough in an hour, but to really appreciate the landscape and nature (which you mention as being important to you), you need to do some of the walks/hikes in the park. I highly recommend the Short Spinc Walk which has incredible views from on high of the lakes, etc. Likewise, you can "see" the Rock of Cashel in an hour, but it's much nicer to take a guided tour, explore some on your own and then walk down to Hore Abbey to see it and get some great photos of the Rock of Cashel.

Day 4 would also be a day of around 6 hours of driving just to see the Cliffs of Moher, which I understand can be seen in an hour or less. (BTW, I've been to Ireland twice and have not seen the Cliffs of Moher. It was foggy the day we were in the area, so we opted to do some hiking in the Burren instead--it was free, scenic and a lot of fun.) If you do decide to reserve Day 4 for the trip to the Cliffs, be sure to have a backup plan in case the Cliffs are socked in by fog or rain--not an uncommon occurrence.

Also, I was a bit optimistic with the driving times I gave in my first posting. I double-checked the driving times and the route from Dublin to Killarney via Cashel is a minimum of 4 hours +. The route from Killarney to Dublin via Glendalough is at least 5 1/2 hours. The online AA Route Planner for Ireland is a very good resource for driving routes and times, but add about 15 - 20% to the stated driving times when driving minor roads.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days road trip from and to Dublin

Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated.

I'm taking notes for the hike.

And yes we will have a plan B for day 4 if weather is bad or if we're tired of driving.

Thanks again :)

5. Re: 3 days road trip from and to Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 05:18