We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three nights left to arrange

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
167 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Three nights left to arrange

We have three days that I need to fill in, We are spending Thursday night at Markee Castle and I have no plans yet for Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Monday, we will be spending the night in Bunratty to be close to the airport. We will have already seen The Burren by this point. Some things I have been considering are: spending one night on one of the Aran Islands, Clifden, the market in Galway (is it worth my time?), and Kylemore Abbey. I just can't get things to line up and I don't want to end up with a wasted day. I know most people on here are not fans of moving every night but it doesn't bother us as we travel pretty light. So, with all this information can anyone give us some ideas. Thank you in advance.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three nights left to arrange

You have the whole of Mayo and Galway below Sligo so check out Achill Island on the way down to either Westport or Clifden for a couple of nights and some sights from http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu The final day have a look at Clare on the way to Bunratty which whilst wouldn't be my choice for 2 nights is a decent touring base to include some of East Clare and Lough Derg area on your last day or South west Clare around Loop Head.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three nights left to arrange

You could go to Galway, spend the night, then spend one night on Inis Mor, go back to Galway and move to Bunratty on the Monday. Galway is always worth a visit and the market is quite nice.

On the other hand you could move to Roundstone (www.roundstone-connemara.com) and spend the few days exploring Connemara. Roundstone is just a small village but, in my opinion, much nicer than Clifden.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three nights left to arrange

As you can see, treesprite, we're doing our best to confuse you and make planning your days much more difficult... sorry!

Ah, to be spoilt for choice!

(Hi tony2phones!)

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
167 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three nights left to arrange

Ah, but this is just what I wanted. I will check out Roundstone. Any good b & b's there? Planning can be a headache but it can also be part of the fun. I "see" a lot places by looking them up and mulling them over.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three nights left to arrange

We used to stay in Eldon's Hotel in Roundstone but unfortunately this isn't open anymore.

The website lists B&Bs, maybe there are TA reviews for them.

Virginia
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three nights left to arrange

Ivy Rock B&B is a nice place to stay. The only issue is that it's 2km from Roundstone and not a safe walk.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three nights left to arrange

http://www.islandview.ie/rooms.html

we stayed here 3 nights last year and really enjoyed it...

Edited: 06 June 2013, 17:21
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three nights left to arrange

St Josephs is a good b&b right in the centre of Roundstone http://www.roundstonebandb.com/

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
167 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three nights left to arrange

Me again. Would it be too long of a drive to leave Markee Castle, drive out to Achill Island and spend the night in Roundstone? We would do the Connemara Loop the next day.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three nights left to arrange

If you aim to look around Achill, which is well worth a look then Westport or Leenane might give a bit more time for the North Mayo part of your trip Friday. then through to Galway or Inis Mor on Saturday. Galway's Sunday market and rather than down the Clare coast take the drive by Lough Derg heading into Bunratty by Sixmilebridge.