We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now I'm nervous!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Now I'm nervous!

Hello TA!

Our airline tickets are officially bought and rooms are mostly booked for our trip in August...but now that the money is down I'm feeling a little nervous about our first international trip! Here are the details that are currently planned - any suggestions on my next step or what to do in these last few months?

Day 1

Flying through JFK with a 8 hour layover to Shannon, landing at 9:00 am. We have an automatic rental car reserved with Hertz and I am planning on getting the CDW and SCDW insurance as I do not have a world mastercard (from reading several previous posts it seems like I should get both). Our plan is to make our way to Galway and depending on the weather stop at the CoM and the Burren. In the evening we will probably wander around Galway and then turn in early

Day 2

Day trip to Connemara driving the sky road to Clifden, stopping at Kylemore Abby and then coming back on Bogs head. Staying again in Galway.

I was thinking we would buy a heritage card at the first heritage site we come across and try to use them as much as possible throughout the trip. I havent really looked yet to see what heritage sites fall along our path that would be worth stopping at...

Day 3

Wake up in Galway. Back up day for CoM and Burren if the weather did not permit on day 1...In case this day is free we were considering a day trip to Aran Islands - havent really looked into this yet though. Still debating if we should spend a third night in Galway or somewhere along the route to Killarney.

Day 4

Drive to Killarney stopping possibly at Bunratty Castle (is there another heritage site on the way that is worth seeing?) on the way. Dinner and night in Killarney

Day 5

Drive the RoK, or as much as we can see with some nice suggestions from the DEs and head back to Killarney for the night

Day 6

Drive to Kilkenny stopping at Cahir and the rock of cashel on the way. If we can get to Kilkenny before 4 we will try to see Kilkenny Castle, if not then it wasnt meant to be. Stay the night in Kilkenny.

Day 7

Drive to Newgrange early in the morning - hoping to arrive when they open at 9:30 to see the tour. After Newgrange we will drop the rental car and take a cab into Dublin. Dinner in Dublin

Day 8

See the sights in Dublin on foot - hoping to see Trinity, Kilmanhaim gaol, Dublin Castle, Grafton St.

Day 9

Get up and head to the airport for our 11:30 am flight

I'm looking for suggestions on things that I should be focusing on as we get closer to the date or if there is anything that I may have overlooked in my planning. I really appreciate your help and we are very excited for our trip!

thank you!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Now I'm nervous!

The normal way is to park up by the Quay at Rossaveal or Doolin (depending which Island) August is peak season There is no saying you can get accommodation or at least accommodation close to a pub/food.

12. Re: Now I'm nervous!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 05:16