We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road sign with camera image ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Road sign with camera image ?

Hi there, having a great time enjoying this beautiful country, and been driving about the place for a couple of weeks.....we just haven't worked out yet what the small road sign with the camera image is supposed to alert us to? Initially I thought it meant, this was a picturesque photo opportunity ahead ......but , that didn't seem to fit. Does it mean speed cameras are in use? Feel silly admitting this, but we haven't worked it ! Happy to be enlightened, thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,548 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

"Does it mean speed cameras are in use?"

Yes. You mean like this?

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2093095

Edited: 11 June 2013, 19:12
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

That's the one Irishman!! Thx. For the first couple of days driving, I was diving for my camera whenever I saw the sign, thinking it meant " great photo op experience coming" not realising the photo opportunity was actually in the reverse! Cheers

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

The sign indicates that speed cameras may be in use as the particular stretch of road is of higher accident risk. However, it is not a guarantee that the camera units will be present, as all cameras are now in mobile units and can be deployed any where along the "at risk" network

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

LOL hneesh. Great photo opportunities is right!

And should you require a listing of where these cameras are situated, and further information, have a look here

http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

When I lived in NSW, there was an 'eye in the sky' - a small plane that carried a speed camera. The road signs had a picture of a plane with the message: we are watching you. The system was scrapped as being completely inefficient if I remember correctly.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

I don't see how they could accurately measure another object's velocity from a vibrating, hovering "drone".

Over here, they're not even allowed to put cameras on overhead bridges, as the vibrations could theoretically cause inaccurate measurements.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,149 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

If you were driving slow enough to see the sign, you're in the clear.

" Safety fast "

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

Speed trap. You might have passed one of these soon after thurles.info/wp-content/…speed-van.jpg

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

If you meet cars flashing lights at you during the day it's a good indication you are about to meet a speed van. Just sayin'....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road sign with camera image ?

Spy in the Sky is used in Derbyshire Peak District in the UK Roads are marked over a measured distance and the policopter measures the time a target takes to travel between the marks. The UK is now trialling cameras which fit onto the safety barriers on roads.. Nothing to do with Ireland ...Yet!!